Do I have too much draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I NEVER get stack temps over 600 degrees.
I also cut air to generally stay under 600 on the surface flue thermo, which I'm guessing would be around 900 on a probe. With the cat engaged, that drops down around 300 on a low burn. Probably would be a bit higher on your tube stove, though...

I'm not gonna scare ya'all with my method.

Oh - yeah, I guess I will. Full load, light fire, wide open primary, wide open startup air (a feature on Quad stoves). Stove pipe probe hit 800F. I slam it down for the long haul. Probe hovers around 450-500 during the "active" part of the burn.

900f stove pipe probe doesn't even get a second glance anymore, just tune it down. If the stove top gets anywhere close to 800F, just turn on the fan and cool it down and tune it down a bit. I have a long history with this stove and its operations. Highly predictable.

I tried this method, and it stayed at about 600F, room for improvement, but getting there. I feel like a dumb arse for doing it wrong all last year, and the wood I ended up going through. Oh well, drink another beer I guess. Be well

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

Don't be so hard on yourself . . . I still end up doing dumb things occasionally. In fact, just yesterday I ended up filling the house with smoke since the temp outside was so close to the temp inside and I didn't allow my stove time to establish a natural draft before lighting it.

I'm not gonna scare ya'all with my method.

Oh - yeah, I guess I will. Full load, light fire, wide open primary, wide open startup air (a feature on Quad stoves). Stove pipe probe hit 800F. I slam it down for the long haul. Probe hovers around 450-500 during the "active" part of the burn.

900f stove pipe probe doesn't even get a second glance anymore, just tune it down. If the stove top gets anywhere close to 800F, just turn on the fan and cool it down and tune it down a bit. I have a long history with this stove and its operations. Highly predictable.

Pretty close to my method as well... I'd add a Super Cedar into the mix too.

I NEVER get stack temps over 600 degrees. Usually, after the fire settles in and it's a-cruisin, I maintain around 550-600 degrees. The secondarys just "laze" away......

600 is also about what we aim at but as soon as we cut the draft the stack temperatures go down much lower and the stove top temperature goes up. One of the joys of a cat stove.

Too warm tonight now to light it up, but I'm confident all will go smooth, as last night when I do. I am out of the ER from beating myself up. Be well

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.