Do I have ventless gas logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjohnson421

Nov 12, 2007
Hotlanta
I have tried to search the web and this site and could not find a answer. I recently purchased a house that has gas logs. I can not gtell if they are ventless. I removed the unit looking for a model number and could not find one. Can anybody help?

If there is not a vent (or its blocked).... they are probably vent free.

It is what would appear to be a regular prefab fireplace. It has a chimney and a flue. I will try and get some pic tongight. I looked all over it and could not find any tags. I was hoping to find a model number or something. I was told at "home depot", which I take with a grain of salt, that since the "fake" logs were moveable that it was definitely not a ventless?

Vent Free gas logs can be move-able.... and if the logs are out of position it can cause sooting and CO to enter the house.

get pictures, also , look closely on the valve body for a makers label for the valve itself, would have to cross check the valve model , but it can be determined that way. the pilot body can be a giveaway as well, get a picture of it too note ,gas sets are supposed to have the firing instructions on a chain attached to the unit , but that may have been removed, look on the underside of the set as well sometimes a clue can be found there

My wife took these pictures yesterday. I will try and get some pictures of the pilot body/area and look a the valve tongiht. There is definitely no chain hanging from it. I lifteded it up and looked underneath trying to find the model number and never saw any chain. I could not find a model number or manucaturer.

Just because it has a chimney does not mean that it is not ventless. In a house I previously owned I installed a ventless log system in a fluted chimney. It was installed to help heat the house when I was in the room.

Attachments

• fireplace1.JPG
    fireplace1.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 315
  • fireplace2.JPG
    fireplace2.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 312
Looks like a vent free unit to me. That copper thing hanging off to the side I saw on the only vent free log I have seen up close and personal in my life. I think maybe it is the OSD always associated with vent free products?

i agree , but not absolutely certain, i have not seen a vented set which uses a volumetric temperature bulb before, (the cigar shaped bulb on the end of the copper wire )and the hole pattern does not look like a vented pattern usually the holes in the vented tubes are larger sometimes slotted where the flame is meant to be bigger , you cannot do that with vent free so im still thinking vent free. by the way , that copper "wire" the bulb ataches to is actually a tube, so what ever you do, DO NOT KINK IT!! this would ruin the valve as the way that thing works is simple physics, the medium inside of it is under a certain amount of pressure, this pressure is exerted against a spring loaded seal in the valve body as the medium in the bulb heats up , it expands the pressure exerted increases and when it reaches a certain level, the valve closes, when the pressure is eased by cooling and contraction, the valve then opens again allowing the main burner to cycle with temperature. kinking the tube does not allow this change , or worse allows the pressure to bleed off , making the valve stay wide open all the time. on the other side, crushing the bulb reduces the space available to the medium and increases the pressure , which would not allow the valve to open , making the main burner stay off no matter how cold it gets. this item is not replacable and would result in the whole unit being practically worthless.

bottom line, i think its a vent free, and its probably a 20K to 30K rated unit but im guessing on that

jtp10181 said:
Looks like a vent free unit to me. That copper thing hanging off to the side I saw on the only vent free log I have seen up close and personal in my life. I think maybe it is the OSD always associated with vent free products?

the "ods" is built into the pilot jet itself, i cannot see that part in the pictures, but you are right on the temp bulb, usually they are not associated with vented units.

note UNTIL THIS UNIT IS IDENTIFIED, MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN IT IS NOT RUN WITHOUT A WORKING CO DETECTOR IN CLOSE PROXIMITY!!!
i would actually advise not running it until this system is identified.

and they generally are not very expensive so replacing might not be a bad thought as well

I don't really want to replace the unit. I was looking in the store and they are about $300-400 to replace Considering I will hardly use it I hate to replace it.

I have not ran the unit nor do I plan to without finding out what it is. There is already a carbon etector installed close by.

Should I try and take a picture of the pilot?

kjohnson421 said:
I don't really want to replace the unit. I was looking in the store and they are about $300-400 to replace Considering I will hardly use it I hate to replace it.

I have not ran the unit nor do I plan to without finding out what it is. There is already a carbon etector installed close by.

Should I try and take a picture of the pilot?

if you can get me a good shot of the pilot assy it would help, that way i can look for the ODS setup on the pilot assy

Definitely not anything I have ever seen. I see a thermocouple, an igniter and some funky pilot head. Possibly a pilot head with an ODS integrated?

I guess at this point I will get out the caron monoxide detector and light this thing up and see if it goes off. How close should I have the carbon monoxide detector? Can I just lay it on the couch across the room?

If it is installed in a firebox with a flue and it is not blocked off, they didn't block it off for a reason. If it was a vent free unit, it would have an oxygen senso mechanism on it. (go to Google, search vent free gas log, read info about O2 sensing.) The vent free units always have an ODS. ( Unvented gas logs are always equipped with an Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS), which is designed to turn off the gas before carbon monoxide reaches a dangerous level in the room.)

http://homebuying.about.com/cs/gaslogs/a/ventfree_logs.htm

Having said all that, if you really read up on Vent Free units you will find there is a large group of people who seem to be having medical problems due to these units. To my way of thinking venting it either way will protect your health.

So, as long as your unit works properly and it is vented that is good. If you have any questions about how it is working have your local gas (propane or natural depending on what you have) come to the house to inspect the appliance and assure it is working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.