Do i need a block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
Neither my insert or my SS liner instructions mention a block off plate. Do i need one or should i just go with out it?

I posted in the other post of yours that I would to help keep the heat in and the smell out lol

If you have an exterior chimney, you will lose heat out of it, and you need a block off (with rockwool on top) OR stuffed in insulation (rockwool, not pink fiberglass)

With a full liner, metal block off plate seems to be a 'peace of mind issue' for folks around here--depends on your mind--do you need more peace?

I have a nice metal block-off, but I'm running a direct connect.

even internal brick or stone chimney will rob lots of heat. the more you grt in to the room and not up the chimney (I did not say flue becase of the full liner).it be like having an open window IMO

When we install a full liner (The only way we will install a wood burning insert) we jam the heck out of the damper area with rock wool. We also pack the top of the liner right under the top plate with rock wool.

Status
Not open for further replies.