Do I need a blockoff plate for a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim5b

Jun 22, 2008
northern MA
I have an insert and had someone put the flex pipe in to my 35 foot chimney. (outside wall) Do I need a blockoff plate or can I stuff it with insulation? What kind of insulation would I need? Thanks

I can't think of one reason on Earth why I would want a block-off plate with a pellet insert. All of the heat action with a pellet stove is happening up front with the burn-pot and heat exchangers. That heat is blown out into the room by the room air blower that is in effect constantly cooling the stove anytime it is running. The stuff in the back is all of that expensive electronic stuff like auger motor, blower motors, circuit boards and wiring. If that stuff is hot I want the heat getting the heck away from it anyway it can.

Maybe I am missing something here and somebody will enlighten me.

Not knowing the chimney config (outside/inside) the one point I would make is with concern of loosing "room" heat up the chimney. That is what the blockoff plate will do for you. It stops the heated room air from escaping up the chimney for no good reason. Insulation does the same thing (proper insulation only, please), but the blockoff plate gives a more secure "finish" to the insulation.

If the chimney is interior to the home, it may not be as big of a loss, as the chimney may actually radiate some of that heat back to the interior.

I'm not big into heating the masonry of an exterior chimney using heat from the room. Just one dudes opinion.

Edit: re-read "outside wall". Yeah, exterior chimneys can suck up a lot of heat.
Another edit: BroB does have a point about removing excess heat from the back of a pellet stove, but I would rather see that heat go back into the room, not heating bricks on the outside of the home.

If the pellet stove is installed with a short stub of pipe instead of a liner up the full length of the chimney with a proper top chimney cap, it should have a block off plate installed. If it has a full liner and top cap, then a block off plate is not needed, though it might help reduce cold air spillage around the stove surround with an exterior chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.