Do I need a catalytic converter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

downstream

Jan 29, 2011
northern new england
The catalytic converter on my Federal Airtight wood stove recently stopped working. A man at the local stove shop told me people run the stoves without them. I'm concerned about too much draw if there is nothing in it's place. I was considering using a six inch stove pipe damper instead. Will this work? Will it hurt the stove?

Have you cleaned your cat? How old is it? I wouldn't burn without one, it would just be a waste of heat and fuel.

Clean or replace the cat, you will burn cleaner and more efficiently.

My book specifically says "Do not operate the stove without the combustor in place.
Designed to be there, you may have to clean or replace yours but burning with out it may case problems.
But you "can" burn without it, just what the consequences will be ???

That stove is designed for maximum heating with that catalytic converter. It's not like the one on your car where it is simply there for the environment. Yours makes use of the additional heat generated by it and allows you to had serious heat to your home.

How old is the stove and this cat? If it hasn't been cleaned and it really is prematurely broken / destroyed, then my next response would be for you to describe the wood you burn to us and what temperatures you engage the cat at.

pen

downstream said:
The catalytic converter on my Federal Airtight wood stove recently stopped working. A man at the local stove shop told me people run the stoves without them. I'm concerned about too much draw if there is nothing in it's place. I was considering using a six inch stove pipe damper instead. Will this work? Will it hurt the stove?

You can run without it but it's a bad idea.. You will use about 1/3 more wood, create more creosote if you slow the burn down and pollute the air.. Back when I bought this stove the cat was an included "option" and I have always used a cat.. I wouldn't run this stove without a cat period.. You can buy a cat for a little more than $100.00 and it will last you 6+ years if run properly.. Like others suggest 1st thing I do is vacuum all the dust aka flyash from the combustor.. Make sure it has no blocked cells by inspecting it with a flashlight from underneath.. If you are burning wet wood the cat will not work either as the steam cools off the cat so make sure your wood is dry.. I also ran into a problem in that the catalytic bypass damper rope gasket was missing and that will allow smoke to bypass the cat also reducing its' ability to heat up properly plus was crudding up my chimney.. How old is your stove and which model do you have?

Good deals on cats here: http://www.inandoutlifestyles.com/wostcaco.html or here: http://firecatcombustors.com/Catalog/cat-Consolidated.htm

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.