Do I Need a Chimney Pipe Insert for my Big E?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremesolo

Oct 30, 2008
Central, PA
I have a ranch house with a Breckwell Big E in the basement that we use for our main source of heat. There is ductwork right above the stove to help get the heat upstairs to where it is really needed. I have also left the floor uninsulated to try to get some heat transfer through the floor as well. There was an existing chimney and I just adapted the pipe out of the back of the stove and through the clay chimney crock and turned the pipe up inside the chimney for the stove exhaust. I then sealed between the clay pipe and the double wall stove pipe with fiberglass insulation to make it "air tight". Will I get better performance and more heat if I install a flexible pipe the whole way to the top of the chimney or is it not going to make any difference? Also while burning, the stove glass does seem to get dirty fairly fast. This may just be due to the design of the stove or could it also be related to the stove exhaust? I burned it this way all last winter and never had any problems with the stove blowing out but I did have some issues with the stove going out while running on the lower settings (1 or 2 out of 5) but I attributed them to the feed rate of the auger. Thanks.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
BLIMP said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
many reasons why a liner is a good idea, i bet the maker says its required too
many reasons are?

oh come on.

if you are serious, i'd suggest utse
guess u dont wanna put reasons on the table for whatever reason?

BLIMP said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
BLIMP said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
many reasons are?

oh come on.

i just dont like to regurgitate info that has been posted a thousand times, it is a waste of my time if you wont do a search yourself. if the OP wants to ask additional questions for info, he/she is welcome/i'd answer them with pleasure. answering your questions is totally pointless though :)

perhaps my original reply was a bit brief to the OP, but the basic info is: yes, a full liner is best.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
BLIMP said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
BLIMP said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
many reasons are?

oh come on.

i just dont like to regurgitate info that has been posted a thousand times, it is a waste of my time if you wont do a search yourself. if the OP wants to ask additional questions for info, he/she is welcome/i'd answer them with pleasure. answering your questions is totally pointless though :)

perhaps my original reply was a bit brief to the OP, but the basic info is: yes, a full liner is best.
lotta typing for no reason?= why bother respond in the first place

I dont mind pointing out the reasons for a full reline
-eliminate the risk that any exhaust will find its way through fissures in the clay tiles and cause deterioration of the masonry.
-reduce the likelihood of the "cold stack effect" creating too much resistance and setting off the pressure/vacuum sensor.
-reduce the likelihood that a block off plate and insulation around the pipe is poorly done allowing exhaust to come back into the house.
-makes for easier/better ability to send a pipe brush up the chimney without disturbing fore mentioned block off plate and/or insulation.

even if a full reline is only "recommended" by the manufacturer, is a pretty good recommendation, not unlike the 3'-5' rise recommendation.
that being said, I'm aware of many dozens of partial relines that function perfectly well, though I think soon it will be obligatory in every insert installation.

Delta-T said:
I dont mind pointing out the reasons for a full reline
-eliminate the risk that any exhaust will find its way through fissures in the clay tiles and cause deterioration of the masonry.
-reduce the likelihood of the "cold stack effect" creating too much resistance and setting off the pressure/vacuum sensor.
-reduce the likelihood that a block off plate and insulation around the pipe is poorly done allowing exhaust to come back into the house.
-makes for easier/better ability to send a pipe brush up the chimney without disturbing fore mentioned block off plate and/or insulation.

even if a full reline is only "recommended" by the manufacturer, is a pretty good recommendation, not unlike the 3'-5' rise recommendation.
that being said, I'm aware of many dozens of partial relines that function perfectly well, though I think soon it will be obligatory in every insert installation.
thanx, now the OP can make a better informed decision

Status
Not open for further replies.