Do I need a damper above my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaron

Mar 16, 2008
Adams County, Ohio
Hey guys, I'm back! I've got the T6 installed, my chimney is lined, I'm ready to go. I had an installer and a chimney sweep here to do it all for me today to ensure it was done correctly.... but I don't see a damper. I know the T6 has one, but my fireplace had incredible draw. I don't want to be missing something, but if I don't need it I'm more than happy. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Congratulations, I think you are going to love that stove. Take a picture or two and post them for us.

I had one on the F400 but so far have been burning without it on the T6. Seems fine, but I'll need to run it in the winter to see how it is when it's really cold outside. I'd try it for awhile and see how it works. It may be fine without a damper.

Unless you find the stove/fire difficult to control using the primary air, I would not put a damper on the stack. That being said, if you get TOO much draft that the primary control can't hold the fire down, then its time to consider one. Kind of a rule of thumb in my book. Most EPA stoves are designed NOT to have one, but each install has its own characteristics.

I run both my EPA stoves without stovepipe dampers. Both have plenty good draft, and I've never had a problem with not being able to control the burn with the air controls built into the stoves. Rick

I too have struggled with deciding whether or not to install one on my basement Big 6 set-up. Air control on the stove seems to control flame just fine, but I am wondering if I am still letting too much heat up the chimney. I average 4-6 hr active (flaming) burns, and 10-12 hr coals. I guess I had visions of longer burn times and still wonder about a damper. Since they are cheap anyway, I have one setting on the shelf of my tool room waiting to install when the mood strikes me. As people have said before, I guess if I install it and it makes no difference, then no harm, no foul for spending a couple of dollars on the damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.