Do I Need A Damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
I never gave it a thought when I installed it. How do I know if I need one?

Blaze King King pre-EPA. 14' thru-the-wall chimney.

ggans said:
Yeah , ya kinda need one.. well ya don't , lets just say it's a good idea..

Need more convincing than that. What are "symptoms" of needing a damper? What are benefits of having one?

If your stove seems to run away from you and your stack temps seem high a damper could be a good idea to slow her down and keep the more heat in the stove. 14' usually works out pretty good without a damper, it's the very tall chimneys that like to overdraft. Does your stove have the auto thermostat? I hear some of the old Blaze Kings have them and it works just like a damper giving you more control over the combustion air.

Yes, it has a 'stat. I can control the temp very well. If a damper is just to slow it down, then I don't think I need one for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.