Do I need a dehumidifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikespirito

Oct 2, 2013
Coventry RI
I have my pellet stove in the basement. Before r got the stove I used a dehumidifier daily. Now that I have the pellet stove do I still need the dehumidifier?

How damp is your basement? Unless it's insanely damp, as long as your stove is running, it should stay fairly dry. Does your dehumidifier have fairly accurate controls? If it does, you could keep it on but turn the "humidity level" control down just until it kicks on, then back it off a bit. Do this while your stove is running. If your stove shuts off, the dehumidifier SHOULD kick on keeping your basement dry :)

Reactions: iceguy4
The reason I'm asking is because I had my stove for about 3 weeks installed for 1 week and I have rust on my stove

You seriously need to find out what the moisture incursion problem is in that basement.

Reactions: mikespirito
The reason I'm asking is because I had my stove for about 3 weeks installed for 1 week and I have rust on my stove
I know, I saw. Lol. You gotta take things one step at a time. Assess your humidity problem and start there, or the rust will continue. I think my suggestion with the dehumidifier may work well. It's certainly the cheapest and easiest way to control the humidity, assuming the moisture is originating from the exterior.

Like I said, a little surface rust on a new stove is very irritating, but it's really no big deal. Run that dehumidifier, touch up your stove and you should be good to go.

Should I take a steel wool pad to the rust then paint it with stove paint?

I just looked back at your prior posts. That stove is in a finished basement. If you have enough moisture down there to rust a stove that fast you must have a monster mold problem.

Reactions: Justin M and P38X2
Should I take a steel wool pad to the rust then paint it with stove paint?
Either that, or actually some 400 grit sandpaper. Might be easier. No need go go nutty with it. Wipe the sanded areas with a cloth towel with a bit of rubbing alcohol, let it dry a min and give it a couple LIGHT coats of stove paint. That's what I would do anyway.

We just bout this house 6 months ago and it passed inspection if that counts for anything.

I just looked back at your prior posts. That stove is in a finished basement. If you have enough moisture down there to rust a stove that fast you must have a monster mold problem.
Good point

I constantly run a dehumidifier in my basement because of moisture. Since I got the stove I have not run the dehumidifier because I thought the stove would dry out he moisture. I called the place where I bought it from. They said its normal for rust because when I'm running the stove I'm burning off the finish. I said even after a week they said yes. I'm a little skeptical. But I'll just sand off the rust and reprint it.

Once you get to really burning the humidity will drop as the warm air can hold more water and should rise if there is some air movement. Takes about a week of heating in our home to dry things out properly.

I realize I could totally be over reacting but I just didn't expect rust after a week

I got my first spec of rust on my door this season. installed in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.