Do I need a grate for this Grizzly insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dalvarez042087

Jan 19, 2023
Nebraska
Just wondering if I need a grate for this fireplace insert?
ED39998B-481D-47D3-90F9-A053F6EDAC12.jpeg

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Thats an old insert.. The first thing Id do is make sure its connected to a liner.. some people just did slammer installs back then.. If is connected.. Id have a pro check it, as most installs called for steel and not stainless variety... there looks to be alot if charging on the block. Me personally.. I wouldn't rush into this one..

Please have the unit and chimney inspected before attempting to use, no grate should be used.
Dry wood is a must, that means purchase a moisture meter and test on a fresh split room temp face, greater than 20% is to wet.

and if you don't have a moisture meter about 5 to 10 minutes into the wood being put in if its to moist it will be foaming out of the sides of the wood and hissing