Do I need a wall support for 12' of ICC Ultra Black?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougA

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2012
S. ON
I've got about 12' of 8" ICC Ultra Black between the top of the Hearthstone Equinox and the ERDS ceiling support but there are two 30 deg elbows needed to move the pipe/chimney away from the center roof beam.

I've read the ICC specs many times and it appears that I should be using a Wall Support EWS for any run more than 8', however it refers to chimney, which may or may not mean interior double wall stove pipe. Added to that are tons of photos with similar installations on high cathedral ceilings with no support brackets shown.

Thanks in advance. Sorry, can't post photos yet as I'm building it now.

If you screw the top piece to the support box extension & you're not using any additional lengths between the 30 degree elbows, you should be fine without additional support. The Ultrablack installation instructions call for extra support if you have connector in excess of 20 feet, but there is no support component offered...Plumber's strapping can be used, but it's not visually appealing.

Thanks for that. I suspected the EWS wall support was for the SS chimney only but it was very ambiguous in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.