Do I need a wall thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
Silly me thought this upgrading to double wall pipe would be an easy thing. I had all my pieces sorted out and everything straight a ready to connect, and then I read this part about having a close contact or snap connector. It's very specific that it needs to be there. I was told to just cement the regular double wall pipe to the thimble, but these instructions seem to be rather firm that the close connector needs to be there. Can anyone tell me from this pic of my wall thimble if I need one or not? I'm a using duravent double wall pipe.

Attachments

• thimble.jpg
    thimble.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 198
Do you know the brand of the thimble?

If I follow, you are simply ditching the old single wall interior pipe for double wall, and trying to connect to the existing thimble?

Yes, that is all I need to know. Can I take off single wall and put on double wall to that thimble?

I phrased my title wrong. I meant to ask if I need what is called a close or snap connector. I realize that thing in the pic is the thimble.

Should be possible. The new pipe should be the same brand as the thimble.

Guess I'm still asking the question wrong. It fits on there just fine, but it also slides off just fine. It's a loose fit. Is a bead of cement enough to make a good seal?

A bit of furnace cement for the gap and three screws sounds like it will do then.

Status
Not open for further replies.