Do I need an "extra" back-up stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
I love my stove, had it two seasons and it's proven it can easily keep my 2 story 1850 ft. house at an average 78 degrees in the mid to low twenties or to even much lower.

It's been discontinued for 2 years.

When we bought it, we thought it was the last one around. :)

Approaching the 3rd season we just located a "new" old stock stove that has been sitting at a dealer.

It's a beauty........... %-P

What if something happened to my "original" stove in the next few years...........we could have a "minty" new one under a sheet ready to move in place..............while we repaired the older model of course.

The one we found is not cheap, and we need to be saving...... should we do it ?

Robbie

Stoves seem to keep getting better. The model was probably discontinued because a more efficient replacement was released.
Would you buy a 2nd garage door opener to keep around because you like your current one?

Yes...........wouldn't everyone ?

I always buy 2 pairs of shoes if I like the first pair really well, because I know they always "update" products.....and I end up not liking the new version as well.

I've just never bought 2 things that were really expensive.

Robbie

Robbie said:

I always buy 2 pairs of shoes if I like the first pair really well, because I know they always "update" products.....and I end up not liking the new version as well.

Robbie

So, in answer to your original question "do I *need* an extra backup stove", the answer is no.

But you obviously *want* an extra backup stove. You want what you want. But seriously, since you are so happy with the performance of your installed stove, what are the chances you will need backup replacement in the next several years.

You say this is an expensive item. I am sure you can use that money to better advantage elsewhere. If nothing else, invest the money. With the earnings after several years when you really *need* another stove, perhaps the earnings alone will pay for it.

Why not enjoy seeing your money grow as you enjoy being nice and toasty from your current stove.

BTB

Your stove is probably good for at least 20 years if treated well. Put the money into something that will give you continuing value, like energy saving improvements, insulation, windows, etc.

Robbie said:

Robbie

I specifically did not use the shoe comparison because that is not an apples to apples comparison (plus I'm in that boat). The garage door opener reference is more apples to apples because you would only use one at a time (shoes you can switch between from day to day)

Robbie said:
I love my stove, had it two seasons and it's proven it can easily keep my 2 story 1850 ft. house at an average 78 degrees in the mid to low twenties or to even much lower.

It's been discontinued for 2 years.

When we bought it, we thought it was the last one around. :)

Approaching the 3rd season we just located a "new" old stock stove that has been sitting at a dealer.

It's a beauty........... %-P

What if something happened to my "original" stove in the next few years...........we could have a "minty" new one under a sheet ready to move in place..............while we repaired the older model of course.

The one we found is not cheap, and we need to be saving...... should we do it ?

Robbie

robbie,
im sure that the manufacturer will be keeping parts in stock for years to come. we at ESW have parts available for dang near anything we EVER built. 30 years worth, if we dont have it in stock we can and will fabricate it (steel stoves are good for that) im sure that your manufacturer does the same. a stove that was discontinued 2 years ago has gotta have support, its not even outside its warranty period. now if it had been discontinued in 1985 instead of 2005, id raise an eyebrow, but i wouldnt be sweating it just yet. now , if the stove is a real honey, and you have a great deal, yeah i'd maybe salt one away , but i wouldnt expect to have to pull it out soon. pretty much everybody ( reputable that is) makes a solid product and that means as craig said 20 years or better, ive seen stoves come through our plant that were close to 30 years old , just to get reworked (painted , new door handle and brick etc...) my dad has one of our units that was built in 1977 , still in great condition ( this isnt a sales pitch , im just saying that good products last , and there are a lot of em out there , you shouldnt be worried that yours will take a dump just cause its not being built anymore)

That is some really good advice from everyone, I appreciate it.

I'm a worrier......in the worst way. I remember making a post a year ago asking if I should get an extra glass just in case.........or a back up blower. :)

Heck, I'm even worried about my own knife design being discontinued someday............... and then I would never be able to get any more.....production models that is......... %-P

I am thinking hard about this.........I feel sick. ;-)

Robbie

Robbie, I see where you're coming from. I would love to have my old Nashua from years ago versus the beast I have now. Some day I'll replace it with a new one, but it's not in the budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.