Do I need an Oak or just registers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobforsaken

Oct 2, 2009
Maine
I'm having an issue in heating my upstairs. See attached. (note.. i'd love to heat downstairs with pellet as well.. but baby steps)

What i'm finding is that the room with the pellet stove is getting very warm while across the hall the room is much cooler and, I suspect, still gettign heated the propane heater on the first floor. I've tried using box fans and ceiling fans to help push the air to the colder room, but it is as though the room with the pellet stove wont release its air as much. I have reasoned that adding an OAK will allow air to be added into the room, and therefore force the hot air of the room out to make room for the new air. Is this reasoning correct? I should mention that the middle mudroom first level doesn't exchange air with the first level of the main house. at this point, but it could if it helps. (The loop between stairwells isn't complete )

Are their other suggestions that may help me heat better, especially if it could assist with heating downstairs as well. Anything I can do in the meantime as I look into getting an OAK?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 470
I would try that box fan on the floor facing the stove. Air will circulate better in a circle than trying to force in a wave(everything facing the same way). Hot air rises naturally and will easily follow the escaping cool air. Worth a shot.

just my 2
jay

jtakeman said:
I would try that box fan on the floor facing the stove. Air will circulate better in a circle than trying to force in a wave(everything facing the same way). Hot air rises naturally and will easily follow the escaping cool air. Worth a shot.

just my 2
jay

Thanks.. I had seen that suggestion in another old thread. I'm definitely trying that tonight... would box fan on floor blowing towards stove and pedestal fan (about 4 ft high) blowing towards the cold room help or hurt?

I had good luck using a box fan blowing cold air out of the cold room toward the stove. I did not have anything blowing the hot air toward the room and it worked very well. I previously tried the pedestal fan as you talked about, but this worked better.

Bobforsaken said:
jtakeman said:

just my 2
jay

Thanks.. I had seen that suggestion in another old thread. I'm definitely trying that tonight... would box fan on floor blowing towards stove and pedestal fan (about 4 ft high) blowing towards the cold room help or hurt?

The box fan blowing out should be as low a speed as possible(or it will cool the air) and as high as possible. It will hurt if the speed and air are moved to fast. Like a fan blowing on you in the summer. It will cool it to a degree. Slow and gentle works best/Low cfm fans work the best at moving the air. Not pulling air(box fan on floor pointing to stove pulls the air).

The box fan blowing out should be as low a speed as possible(or it will cool the air) and as high as possible. It will hurt if the speed and air are moved to fast. Like a fan blowing on you in the summer. It will cool it to a degree. Slow and gentle works best/Low cfm fans work the best at moving the air. Not pulling air(box fan on floor pointing to stove pulls the air).

So I should cancel my order for an industrial 3000CFM fan!?!??! :) Thanks to you all for the suggestions. If the Box fan solution works, is this a solution instead of an OAK or will the OAK by itself not solve my issue and still require the Box fan.

Bobforsaken,

I may be wrong on this, or it may be allowed by your local building codes, but I am under the distinct impression that ANY TYPYE of WOOD BURNING device is NOT allowed to be installed in a closed bedroom for pretty obvious reasons.

Has this bedroom install been approved by the local building/fire inspector?

macman said:
Bobforsaken,

I may be wrong on this, or it may be allowed by your local building codes, but I am under the distinct impression that ANY TYPYE of WOOD BURNING device is NOT allowed to be installed in a closed bedroom for pretty obvious reasons.

Has this bedroom install been approved the local building/fire inspector?

In this state that room can no longer be used as a bedroom until the stove is removed.

SmokeyTheBear said:
macman said:
Bobforsaken,

In this state that room can no longer be used as a bedroom until the stove is removed.

You guys are good, I didn't even notice. All intent on helping move the air and I missed it completly. They are right, Its a no no!

SmokeyTheBear said:
macman said:
Bobforsaken,

Well I labeled it as a bedroom, but its officially not. I actually have a limitation with my septic tank that will allow me only 2 bedrooms (which are in the main cape). the area above the garage is more of a TV room than anything else. We still sleep in the main house. Still, I didn't know that I couldn't have the stove in a bedroom and that means that I'll never be able to convert one of my other bedrooms to a bathroom.

Thanks,

Bobforsaken said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
macman said:
Bobforsaken,

Well I labeled it as a bedroom, but its officially not. I actually have a limitation with my septic tank that will allow me only 2 bedrooms (which are in the main cape). the area above the garage is more of a TV room than anything else. We still sleep in the main house. Still, I didn't know that I couldn't have the stove in a bedroom and that means that I'll never be able to convert one of my other bedrooms to a bathroom.

Thanks,

Ah yes, the three bedroom 180 gallon/day septic system routine. In NH builders do that and the houses have dens, hobby rooms, libraries which of course become bedrooms come ski season.

You'll be fine as long as you don't use the room as a bedroom.

jtakeman said:
Bobforsaken said:
jtakeman said:

just my 2
jay

So THAT'S why I'm always cold....
dieselfan.jpg

Wow, That would move some air, Maybe the whole house too! Hope you don't plan on using it to blow the weather your having our way either. :lol:

jtakeman said:
Wow, That would move some air, Maybe the whole house too! Hope you don't plan on using it to blow the weather your having our way either. :lol:
bend over... I'm cranking the engine right now... should hit you about midnite...

krooser said:
jtakeman said:
bend over... I'm cranking the engine right now... should hit you about midnite...

"bend over" ouch! But I deserved it.

jtakeman said:
krooser said:
jtakeman said:

"bend over" ouch! But I deserved it.
Rock Hudson couldn't have said it better!!!! :ahhh:

http://themave.com/bijou/50/stagnite1a.jpg
Ahhh...stag nite in front of the pellet stove... anybody for a pillow fight?

...........krooser..... mine is bigger than yours........ that's me on the fork lift getting ready to move it to the adjoining hallway from the pellet stove room...... cc :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 268
jtakeman said:

just my 2
jay

Working like a charm, BTW! Thanks so much.

CanadaClinker said:
...........krooser..... mine is bigger than yours........ that's me on the fork lift getting ready to move it to the adjoining hallway from the pellet stove room...... cc :lol: :lol:
I had a blind date that told me that...

krooser said:
CanadaClinker said:

.....sorry to hear that... :lol:

CanadaClinker said:
krooser said:
CanadaClinker said:

.....sorry to hear that... :lol:

YOU'RE sorry????? :exclaim:

jtakeman said:

just my 2
jay

Great news.. This Idea of pushing the cold air towards the stove has not only solved my second floor heating.. An experiment with whole house heating with a stove on the second floor looks promising.

What I did was exactly what you had said with a fan blowing towards the stove. Additionally, I added a fan blowing up the stairs in the mudroom towards and opened the window connecting the main house first floor with mudroom first floor. (Making a loop between the two stair cases) The fan on the stairs seemed to create enough of a draw to pull the warmed air from the second level to the first level via the staircase in the main house.

Dang, another convert to the no pipe/no registers/no holes in the floor style of moving air. I feel so good that someone is listening, I might clean my neighbor's wood stove for the heck of it. If only I can find the door through the smoke, choke, choke, choke.....

Status
Not open for further replies.