Do I need an offset box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlbash1

Oct 28, 2009
Western KY
I purchased a buck model 21 and am getting ready to order the SS liner kit. I want to have everything I need when it's time to install and I'm not sure if my install will need an offset box.

For my install it looks like the flex will have to come through the chimney and bend towards the opening of the fireplace about 7" in a drop of about 7 inches. Not sure if the liner has that much flex or not.

I haven't removed the existing damper yet, that may free things up somewhat, but not a great deal I'm sure.

Thanks in advance

Here's a pic of what I'm working with, do most guys completely remove the damper? Looks like mine is cemented in, may have to cut it out, or at least enlarge in one spot.

Attachments

• P1030441_320x240.jpg
    P1030441_320x240.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 230
  • P1030439_320x240.jpg
    P1030439_320x240.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 205
You'll hafta cut part of the damper frame out of the way.
Good thing is that most of em are cast iron & easy enuff
to cut with a sawzall...
As far as the liner connection, you may need a 30 or a 45 degree
adapter...

Once again, Daksy got here before me and I agree 100% with him. May help to know what brand/type liner you are using.

I called Chimney Liner Direct today and got their input on the setup. They recommended the offset, so I orderd the kit from them substituting the offset for the straight appliance connector and just paid the difference.

Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it.

My mortered-in damper looked the same as yours prior to installation. I left the large iron plate on the one side in. Some crow bar action and a chisel will get things bending & breaking off without too much effort. I also took an angle grinder with a morter attachment to the bricks right in the center to widen it out some more. I didn't want to remove any bricks, just trim them down. fun stuff!

Got her in with the offset box, had to trim off the "ears" of the damper, but I left the rest as is just in case I would ever need to put things back as they were one day. Not too bad at all.

Thanks for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.