Do I need an Outside Air Kit Installed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richkorn

Minister of Fire
Jul 28, 2008
SE CT
I'm new to this Pellet Stove stuff and am getting a Lopi Leyden freestanding stove installed in Sept. It will vent right up my existing 8" fireplace flue with its own 4" liner.

Question: Do I need to have an air intake line installed? And if so, is this done in the same flue? I thought I didn't need one and the owner of the Fireplace store didn't say otherwise.

Thanks a bunch.

Yes we have a CO detector right in the living room. Even the Harmon install manual for the XXV doesn't show an air kit when going up the existing fireplace flue, just the liner kit all the way to the top. The salesperson asked the owner if I needed it & he just shook his head no and I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't. Maybe it's just that you'd have to drill through a perfectly good fireplace firebox to install that air kit out the back and they don't recommend it? I'm thinking I should be ok, but I'll pick the installers brain(s) when the time comes.

Thanks again.

richkorn said:
Yes we have a CO detector right in the living room. Even the Harmon install manual for the XXV doesn't show an air kit when going up the existing fireplace flue, just the liner kit all the way to the top. The salesperson asked the owner if I needed it & he just shook his head no and I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't. Maybe it's just that you'd have to drill through a perfectly good fireplace firebox to install that air kit out the back and they don't recommend it? I'm thinking I should be ok, but I'll pick the installers brain(s) when the time comes.

Thanks again.

How air tight is your house? How cold is your climate and do you humidify in the winter?

a lot depends on if the manufacturer specifies it , however , if the adaptation is available and you can do it without major issues, in a house that newly built the unit would very likely operate better due to not having to fight negative pressure buildup in a tight house

I contacted Travis Ind. and told them I was having a Lopi Leyden installed in front of my prefab fireplace and vented up the same 8" flue with the 4" liner kit just like on Pg. 18 of the Leyden manual; this was tech supports answer:

"The only reason for installing outside air is if your local building codes require it for wood burning appliances. Otherwise, it is not necessary."

I will not have an OAK!

Thanks for all the replies, now I just need to find some pellets and get them delivered. I can throw 1/2 ton in the back of my truck at a time and make multiple trips if needed.

rockettman said:
check out http://www.woodheat.org . Good explaination of outside air. Not recomended in Canada.

the link above deals with fireplaces, not pellet stoves, they are totally different animals. personally i have a few issues with their findings anyway , but im not getting into it. OAK kits with pellet stoves are generally sealed systems, and therefore not likley to cause smoke spillage in a pellet stove the way they may in a naturally drafted fireplace.

Man some people are missing the point.
Weather the house is leaky or tight its nice to know where your air is coming from.
Lets be honest,it all eventually comes from outside. In my climate I would like to have a controlled area where the
frigid air comes in instead of icing up around my doors , windows,ect.
Also if you humidify your home in the winter without an O.A.k. then you are wasting your time as you are sending
the air you just humidified through your stove and out your exhaust and replacing it with the dry outside air you are trying
to humidify that is icing everything around your leaky doorways and windows as it comes in into your humidified space.
The bean counters on that posted link are obviously not thinking of home comfort or efficiency.
Canada to me would qualify for this scenario. I dont know the CFM the pellet stoves move through the combustion chamber but
its enough for me in energy saving not to humidify twice or have my windows froze shut.
MY 2 pennies.
N of 60 In Canada I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.