Do I need another saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfkiller

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2008
Salcha alaska
First off I am a geer junkie. I have a old 056 super, A new ms 361, and a ms 180 mini boss. The ms 361 is a sweet saw with a 20" bar and a skip tooth chain. My saw shop is telling me I have not cut untill I have cut with a dolmar. I am not real brand loyal but I have only owned stihl saws. So what do you all thik should I try a dolmar or just save my money.

The only Dolmar you would need with your lineup would be a 7900. It is up to you whether $700+ is worth it to you. Do you need a saw that large for the wood you are cutting?

wolfkiller said:
My saw shop is telling me I have not cut untill I have cut with a dolmar.

Sounds like the shop knows how to sell stuff; that doesn't mean you need it. Dolmar makes a nice saw, but it will hardly be anything earth shatteringly different than a pro grade Stihl or Husky. In fact, having access to all three brands I would argue that pro grade Stihls and Husky's are a bit better than the equivalent Dolmars, but if you have the money to spend and want another tool/toy then go for it.

I think my 036 (basically same saw as your 361) has been used once since I bought my 7900, and that was only because the chain on the 7900 needed sharpening and I was feeling to lazy to change it. There's a huge power difference, but only a slight weight difference. The 7900 was the best $639 I've ever spent on a new saw... Don't think I've ever heard of anyone being unhappy with the purchase of a 7900.

wolfkiller said:
First off I am a geer junkie. I have a old 056 super, A new ms 361, and a ms 180 mini boss. The ms 361 is a sweet saw with a 20" bar and a skip tooth chain. My saw shop is telling me I have not cut untill I have cut with a dolmar. I am not real brand loyal but I have only owned stihl saws. So what do you all thik should I try a dolmar or just save my money.

You have a 56, a 361, and a 180? I think you're pretty well covered.

aandabooks said:
The only Dolmar you would need with your lineup would be a 7900. It is up to you whether $700+ is worth it to you. Do you need a saw that large for the wood you are cutting?

I'd think the 056 and the 7900 would overlap quite a bit, no?

Bigg_Redd said:
aandabooks said:

From what I've heard of the Dolmar 7900, only the size of the motor puts them in the same class. 056 equals antiquated tech and the 7900 is cuttting edge. Higher revs, smoother, less weight and all of that equals a much easier day for the operator.

aandabooks said:
Bigg_Redd said:
aandabooks said:

From what I've heard of the Dolmar 7900, only the size of the motor puts them in the same class. 056 equals antiquated tech and the 7900 is cuttting edge. Higher revs, smoother, less weight and all of that equals a much easier day for the operator.

So. . . they overlap quite a bit.

If I'm going to have 2 saws for the same niche I'd make it the niche I use the most. But that's just me.

I was at the saw shop guys house today and he told me I could take a couple of the dolmars out this weekend and try them out. I will let you all know what I think.

Just leave your money with him then. Once you run one, you'll own it. As long as we're talking about the 5100/7900.

So I ran the 7900 for a couple hrs yesterday. I think my 361 has better balance. Other than that I like the dolmar just fine. I decided to buy it for a backup.

wolfkiller said:

The igntion module went bad this summer in my 056 Super and Stihl in USA told me the parts are no longer available. So, I went searching for a new saw to get me by for awhile for big cutting, while I searched in other coutries for parts to fix my 056. I wound up buying a Dolmar in Makita clothing since there were really good deals. Got the Makita DCS640120 and love it. Will do almost as much as my 056 Super, yets it's lighter. Powerhead weighs 13.5 lbs versus the 17 lbs the Stihl weighs.

I'm impressed with it. Finally found a place in West Germany that had the ignition module for my 056 - new for $140 plus overseas shipping of $15. Now it's fixed, but the 056 is my spare now. I stuck a 30" bar on it and am just using it for the real big stuff.

TMonter said:
Was it the Bosch coil on the 056 JD?

Yes, it was the later Bosch module. Early 045s and 056s had the Swedish SEM modules. Neither are available from Stihl anymore. At first, Stihl was selling kits with the Bosch modules along with new flywheels to replace the older Swedish units - but now Stihls sells nothing.

That got me pretty disgusted. I worked for one of the first Stihl dealers in the country and we were hestitant at that time because of future parts support. With my 056, I got it new when working for a Deere/Stihl dealer. Used it hard all summers and falls for over 20 years and it never skipped a beat. Not until the module failed. |I couldn't find parts and was getting ready to covert it to the old points setup taken off an early 045. But, then I found a source.

Found a woman in West Germany that sells replacement modules on German Ebay. That's where I got mine after calling Stihl at Virginia Beach and getting kind of pissed off. The new module looks just like the old Bosch but is not made by Bosch. Here's a photo.

Attachments

• replacement module_045_056.jpg
    replacement module_045_056.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 803
I'm interested because I have an 056 with a Bosch module and I know someday I may need it. From what I understand the Bosch modules had a problem with heat induced failures after a number of years of use so me having a spare on hand may not be a bad idea.

TMonter said:
I'm interested because I have an 056 with a Bosch module and I know someday I may need it. From what I understand the Bosch modules had a problem with heat induced failures after a number of years of use so me having a spare on hand may not be a bad idea.

Mine is Bosch and it lasted almost 30 years - so I wouldn't classify that as a problem. As I recall, there was more trouble with the early SEM systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.