Do I need outside air for my Harman Accentra Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fullfatboy

Sep 20, 2011
Washington Crossing, PA
I am finishing up my install on a used Harman Accentra insert. I have been told by some that I should run a pipe from the air intake (which is located behind the stove in the back of the fireplace) through the back of the fireplace to get outside air. Some folks have said you don't have to do anything and it will draw air from the chimney and you'll be fine. The chimney is obviously capped at the top. Certainly not air tight but I would like some thoughts on this from the forum. This is my last serious concern other than pellet choice. I think I may go with Hamers Hot One's and leave it at that. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I had an Accentra insert which I lost in a house fire but will be replacing it. The initial Accentra insert did not have an OAK and it burned fine. The two Harman dealers in Cincinnati insist that in 9 out of 10 homes, you do not need an OAK for the insert.

I just had the contractor order a new insert. This time around I will be going with an OAK, primarily because the owners manual recommends it and most members on the board do also. I will also have an OAK for my P-43 which will be installed in the basement.

Cincinnati Kid said:
I had an Accentra insert which I lost in a house fire but will be replacing it. The initial Accentra insert did not have an OAK and it burned fine. The two Harman dealers in Cincinnati insist that in 9 out of 10 homes, you do not need an OAK for the insert.

I just had the contractor order a new insert. This time around I will be going with an OAK, primarily because the owners manual recommends it and most members on the board do also. I will also have an OAK for my P-43 which will be installed in the basement.

An OAK refers to.....Outside Air K_____?

Food Professor said:
Cincinnati Kid said:

An OAK refers to.....Outside Air K_____?

Kit ...

I have the same insert installed in an opening that previously housed a propane insert.

I'm no expert, but it seems that if you can install the OAK, you probably should if for no other reason than Harman says you should. Others might say that as long as the insert has a steady flow of air from a source other than inside your house, you will be fine. Without the OAK, the stove will draw air from whatever offers the least resistance. Myself, I installed my insert for the long-term and the OAK was an easy install, so I figured I may as well do what Harman says I should.

Status
Not open for further replies.