do i need to clean my chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
Hi All,
on my install,
if i run the insulated flue pipe all the way up and out my chimney, do I have to get the chimney cleaned prior?
its clear, i burn fires all the time, but hasnt been cleaned in years.
i see no lumps when i look down or up, but it is black
its costly, and if I can avoid it I will.

I would run a brush up and down it just to be safe. Your liner could touch a chunk of creosote and lite her off.

Sounds like you will be doing the liner install, right? If so, buy a chimney brush set for 15 or 20 bucks and knock it out! Then sell the rods and brush on ebay or craigslist.

If you have ever had or seen a blazing chimney fire, the answer becomes obvious: YES. AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR, PERIOD.

"Sounds like you will be doing the liner install, right? If so, buy a chimney brush set for 15 or 20 bucks and knock it out! Then sell the rods and brush on ebay or craigslist."

Or , especially if you have a tall chimney, buy a brush and a lenght of rope and pull the brush through from the bottom clean out, a couple of times and it will be clean enough for your install (the rods get all wobbley the longer you stack them and I had a hell of a time cleaning until I started pulling it).

you all are great.
i didnt think i could do it, but its just a matter of running the brush and vacccuuummmnnnn i guess.
for a 10" chimney, I need a 10" brush right? not 12"?

moondoggy said:
you all are great.
i didnt think i could do it, but its just a matter of running the brush and vacccuuummmnnnn i guess.
for a 10" chimney, I need a 10" brush right? not 12"?

Or a ball of chicken wire and a rope.

Or a ball of chicken wire and a rope.[/quote]

your a smart man, when the big bomb finally drops, those around you will be blessed to share in your ingenuity.

nothing listed on craigslist/ebay in a 10"swuare
woodland wants 29.+ship
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Square-Wire-Chimney-Brush
or a
10"square chicken wire block cant be too hard to make...esp. considering i only need it once.

Actually I can't take the credit even though I have used some pretty weird things to clean a chimney. The chicken wire idea is from seeing what hearth.com's favorite building inspector has been using for 28 years to clean his chimney.

Attachments

• elks chimney cleaner.jpg
    elks chimney cleaner.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 309
Absolutely! If you dont believe me, take a trouble light with a 100 watt bulb in it. Then take a handfull of the junk you just swept out of your chimney. Put some on the bare light bulb. Within minutes you will have a cherry red, smoldering, lava like mess. I know! I cleaned my chimney recently and was cleaning the smoke shelf/box. I usually have a flourescent stick light to shine up there, but it was somewhere I didnt feel like going to, and I used a trouble light with bulb. Couldnt believe how quickly it started to smolder. And I just had the "powdery" stuff.

Michael6268 said:
Absolutely! If you dont believe me, take a trouble light with a 100 watt bulb in it. Then take a handfull of the junk you just swept out of your chimney. Put some on the bare light bulb. Within minutes you will have a cherry red, smoldering, lava like mess. I know! I cleaned my chimney recently and was cleaning the smoke shelf/box. I usually have a flourescent stick light to shine up there, but it was somewhere I didnt feel like going to, and I used a trouble light with bulb. Couldnt believe how quickly it started to smolder. And I just had the "powdery" stuff.

Next time make a little pile outside and hit it with a propane torch for a second. Quite a show.

BrotherBart said:
Next time make a little pile outside and hit it with a propane torch for a second. Quite a show.

LOL. BB, you have kept my quite amused with all your "creosote" experiences throughout the years. I think a book may be in order. Maybe - "Fun with Creosote" or "1000 things you wanted to know about creosote but were afraid to ask" LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.