Do I need to clean SS chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
I have been burning for about 2 months. There is some build up inside but flakes off when I rub my hand in the chimney. Can't get up on the roof since there is about 4" of snow. Just wondering if the chimney is in dire need of a sweep? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Attached is a pic.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 431
The more important end is the top. Is this an interior or exterior chimney? If exterior, is it lined? How is your wood source, very dry, medium-dry, so-so? What stove are you burning?

I'm not a sweep, but in my opinion what is visible doesn't look bad (especially if it flakes off in your hand).
I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.

Don't know what the top looks like, haven't been able to get up there. This is an exterior SS chimney unlined. Wood source is medium dry. Burning an Englander 30 ncl. Brand new chimney. What you see is 2 months of burning.

If you notice at the bottom of the picture you can see where I flaked off the build up.

Your combo has a bit higher risk of creosote accumulation. But the good side is that you have a clean burning stove and it doesn't look horrible in this lower picture. I would check out the top as soon as is reasonably possible. If the top accumulation is also flaky or powdery, no worry. But if there is a thick glaze accumulating, then it should be cleaned.

BTW, is this view being shot from the bottom tee cleanout? If yes, go ahead and clean it soon and collect the creosote. That will give you a better idea of the flue status. If it is just a coffee can full, it is a good sign. If you get a gallon or more, then cleaning every couple months is a good idea.

That pipe looks fine. It looks the same way it probably did after two days of burning. When the roof clears up get a look at the top but you aren't going to see much. Looks like you have been burning the big boy right.

I have the same stove as Begreen, a Castine 400. I am piped straight up from the top of the stove. How would I get the look see from down the bottom? Remove the pipe? Or walk out on the roof and look down, taking the comment that if the top looks good then the bottom should be fine. I can easily walk out on the roof. The last time I did I had a little soot, very little at the cap......mainly due to early NOVICE use of the stove.

D

Thanks for the info. The picture is from the tee cleanout section. I typically burn the stove around 400 - 550. I'll head up to the roof later in the week to check the top stack. Thanks.

just brush it from the bottom up..dont need to go onto roof

liquorman said:
I have the same stove as Begreen, a Castine 400. I am piped straight up from the top of the stove. How would I get the look see from down the bottom? Remove the pipe? Or walk out on the roof and look down, taking the comment that if the top looks good then the bottom should be fine. I can easily walk out on the roof. The last time I did I had a little soot, very little at the cap......mainly due to early NOVICE use of the stove.

D

Often the last section of double-wall pipe is a telescoping piece that can lift up so that a bag can be placed on the end of the pipe.

If your wood is dry and you are burning the stove at 500+ and get nice secondary burning, it is probably fine based on your description.

Status
Not open for further replies.