Do I need to replace my cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
The video below shows what happened to me at the close of the season last year. There were flames burning between the cat and the heat shield. I have read that direct flame to the cat was a killer. I am going to remove the cat this week and check it but honestly I don't know what to look for. Is this common in cat stoves? There was no secondary action of fire in the main fire box. Just between the two.

Many thanks in advance....

Well I can't post videos so I hope ya' all know what I am talking about.

Could be ok. Maybe post the video to youtube and then provide a link?

No problem. Sometimes there is a little fire between the flame shield and the cat on my stove too. It's not cause for immediate death.

How old is the stove? It's very unlikely that this event caused any ill effects on the cat.

Yes, it happens sometimes in the Woodstock stoves and probably others, though I never saw it in the Buck (probably because I wasn't there a lot; It was load-and-leave mostly. I think you would have to ram roaring flame into the cat to hurt it. Woodstock says the pre-cat ignition is nothing to worry about.

Thanks to all very much. Will be taking the cat out today to give it a bath. Not going to be an easy job with a bad back, but some cussing and a Bud or two should get the job done.

Thought I might have to replace my cat . . . but the vet said Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower just had a blocked urethra and after having a catheter temporarily installed he is good as new. :)

Attachments

• Ikesmall.jpg
    Ikesmall.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: crater22
If your cat insists on sleeping in odd places you may need to replace it, at least for the winter.

cat on chimney.jpg

Thanks to all very much. Will be taking the cat out today to give it a bath. Not going to be an easy job with a bad back, but some cussing and a Bud or two should get the job done.
I'd be tempted to leave it in. Pull the flame shield and inspect it. Lightly and gently brush it clean and blow some low pressure air through it.

I'd be tempted to leave it in. Pull the flame shield and inspect it. Lightly and gently brush it clean and blow some low pressure air through it.

Thanks for the tip. I was going to do what you suggested, but there is a heavy screen below the cat, that I cannot remove. Looks like the cat is pretty clogged up.004.JPG 006.JPG

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    597.6 KB · Views: 96
I don't see cat cloggage. You can also use a shop vac tube to suck on the face of the cat.

Is the screen welded in there? I can't tell from the pictures if it is OEM or someone just stuck it up in there after they bought the stove. Also, the cat doesn't really look that bad from the pictures.

Is the screen welded in there? I can't tell from the pictures if it is OEM or someone just stuck it up in there after they bought the stove. Also, the cat doesn't really look that bad from the pictures.

I bought the stove new and had it installed. The screen is free moving, but it is a heavy material that I cannot bend, and fits in there on bottom shelves, so it won't just drop out.

I think I will just go ahead and spray the cat and use a shop vac to suck up all the junk.

Again, many thanks for all the help.

Looks to be in decent condition. How many seasons are on it?
Don't get too aggressive with the shop vac. The cat ceramic is brittle material.

Looks to be in decent condition. How many seasons are on it?
Don't get too aggressive with the shop vac. The cat ceramic is brittle material.

Just one season, and I did not burn any overnight fires...I plan to leave it in and blow compressed air and then vacuum. with the screen in there is not way the shop vac can even touch the cat itself...

That sounds almost new. Keep the compressed air pressure low. You are just blowing out fly ash.

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.