Do I need to replace my gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I assumed it needed replacement, but if I go around and "fluff" it up, the seal is nice and tight. The lower part is stiffer, I can work it a little bit to get it more pliable, but I was wondering:

Is there a way to condition a gasket to get more like new?

When all fluffed up it pulls out with firm resistance.

I think your gasket is fine. When it starts to move freely with little or no resistance, there's a problem. How long have you had the stove?

My stove is 5 years old and I am on the same gasket. I may change it this fall, I have fluffed, tightened the door handle, etc.

Andrew

This is our Russo, same gasket since we moved in 2010. Stove came with the house.

Keep an eye on it, try the dollar bill test now and again and watch for your flame control (if it is not "normal" there could be too much air entering the firebox).

Happy burning!

Original gasket. 2008. I'm a big believer in if it's not broken, it doesn't need fixing.

I have three doors. The side door that gets used has been changed two times since 2000. The ash doors gasket was to thin right from the start. I changed it to one size bigger. It's been fine. The front door has never been changed. IMO usage flattens them.

It's not hard to do. Just a little learning curve. If you have time before the season I would get it done, as there is drying time that prevents you from using the stove.

Last edited:
Is there any way to turn flattened out gasket to pliable, some sort of oil, lanolin?

Status
Not open for further replies.