Do I need to replace this baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I've noticed that mu baffle got warped after my first year of burning. It's not too bad but noticeable . The insert is still under warranty. Do I need to replace it , or just get it out and try to make it back to original shape somehow? Is this going to affect secondary's? It's Large flush Hybrid Travis insert. Ill post pictures in next post.

Last edited:
Here is the pics
image.jpg
Here is the other side
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it should be replaced. You are losing efficiency because some of the wood gases will bypass your cat and go out directly toward the flue. It will essentially have the same effect as leaving the bypass open.

Good point. Do you think Travis Industry will be saying that I've over fired the stove and such? Will it be easier just to try to fix it myself. I can change it myself, was hoping that they might give me the part to replace.

Good point. Do you think Travis Industry will be saying that I've over fired the stove and such? Will it be easier just to try to fix it myself. I can change it myself, was hoping that they might give me the part to replace.

It is a common strategy for denying warranty claims to blame the operator for overfiring. Depending on the scruples of the dealer, you may have great luck or you may have to defend your operational technique. Be prepared to defend yourself, know and be able to recite the max temps you use and have ever seen. Be sure not to provide them photographic evidence that may indicate that you did overfire such as whitened exterior paint. The two photos you posted do not indicate overfire abuse.

Replace that baffle. It's toast. Not only are you leaking smoke around the edges but the bypass frame is also warped.

OK, just called the dealer, Thay say bring it and they will hammer it to original shape.
I'll just do it myself ,I guess.

that red rusty look is not common under normal use, is it getting too hot, or are you burning trash, driftwood etc
The opposite. I've burned Bio Bricks exclusively.

Are the bio-bricks packed tightly with the layers at 90 deg to the other?

Never paid attention to the angles , Usually just packed it tight , almost like in a original packaging. Used 2 fire starters. When whole load is charred and burning good would close by pass and start to close the air gradually depending on secondaries ..The favorite moment when air is closed to watch nice lazy flames as a free show.:)

I would double check on if bio bricks are approved by Travis for use in their stoves before you mention to them that's what you're burning. I also have a LFA and I'm going to check mine for the warping baffle...

I asked travis that question last year, here's what they said:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444546673.975268.jpg

I took it out and hammered to original shape just like dealer suggested . Had one fire . I can see its trying to warp again. I found that gases not gonna go up the flue because of it anyway . They have to pass chamber with cat. So I'm ok for now

I'm not sure how you think your efficiency isn't suffering? If there are gaps around the baffle that offer less resistance then the smoke and gases are going to take that route, bypassing the cat and secondary tubes.
All the rust is alarming. That's not common with a stove that's in use.

I'm saying that performance is not affected because gases still going to go trough the cat. The cat seats tight in a chamber and everything goes trough it when bypass is closed. Even if there is no baffle at all. Some gases will probably escape from secondary combustion. Dealer won't replace baffle anyway, they just gonna hammer it back to original form. Here is the pic of cat with no baffle and tubes in place.
image.jpg

Insist on a new baffle...
If the gases and smoke are bypassing the burn tubes then then efficiency has to be effected. If not, why have the hybrid system at all?

I agree that flat normal baffle is better than compromised. The dealer refuses to exchange it. The new costs $100 . I'm just wondering if new is going to change it's shape after a while as well.

I am an installer for a store that carries Travis products. That being said, I filed a claim as if I'm just any old customer. I got an entire baffle package with no issues under warranty. I never installed the parts because I found that the body of the stove had cracked. So I sent the whole stove back under warranty.
It would be nice to have the parts on hand while the stove is still under warranty even if you don't change them out. Your dealer should take a stand in your behalf. Shame on them for not doing something! They got hearth retailer of the year from the HPBA last year. Looks can be deceiving!

How do you file a claim in case like this? Here is what happened : I called the store and said that my baffle is warped. The girl on a phone asked what kind of insert I have, Then it took her couple seconds to look it up on a computer, I think, And then she said that in case like this baffle will be hammered to it's original shape.

Then you say no. I paid over $3500 for the stove, I'd like a new baffle please. Seriously! Think about this.. Hammer it out? This makes no sense for a high end stove, if it came from menards and the parent company was in Thailand I could see this being a solution. Not from a high end American company. No..
This is an issue from your dealer, not Travis Industries. Even if the new baffle warps, the dealer should try to make you happy. Lopi will warrantee it, but the dealer must take the steps to make it happen.

Reactions: Hickorynut
Then you say no. I paid over $3500 for the stove, I'd like a new baffle please. Seriously! Think about this.. Hammer it out? This makes no sense for a high end stove, if it came from menards and the parent company was in Thailand I could see this being a solution. Not from a high end American company. No..
This is an issue from your dealer, not Travis Industries. Even if the new baffle warps, the dealer should try to make you happy. Lopi will warrantee it, but the dealer must take the steps to make it happen.

Webby, you don't work for bassmeirer's over in Evansville Ind.do you. They are a good dealer for lopi and other stoves, and try to accommodate you.

OK, Thanks , I'll try it and report it.

Some conversations with dealers just amuse me. The girl also noted that I need to pay to remove the baffle and install it back. They would not charge for hammering it. She said it's because I've installed it myself. If it was installed by them ,they would do it for free. I don't see how this is relevant. It's an internal part of the stove that still under warranty.

High humidity environment and a damp summer?

i agree, thats why i asked about burning driftwood, etc.

if bio bricks alone are corroding the firebox like that i'd switch fuels asap
Same thing was happening to a Blaze King Ashford over in another thread. Bricks were used primarily. Hmmm...

Hmm, that was a very different issue with a different product.

Status
Not open for further replies.