Do I need to replace this baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, that was a very different issue with a different product.
No. It had a strange rusty funky build up in it. They were blaming on possible drift wood use. But he used almost exclusively bricks.

IIRC correctly he used wood up until we suggested he try the Homefires after ascertaining he had unseasoned wood. Regardless, the product is definitely different, so is build up. Rust can be caused by high moisture. Metal exposed to high heat is vulnerable to oxidation. And we know that BKVP has been using a compressed wood product for heat for years. There may be a connection but so far I'm not convinced.

IIRC correctly he used wood up until we suggested he try the Homefires after ascertaining he had unseasoned wood. Regardless, the product is definitely different, so is build up. Rust can be caused by high moisture. Metal exposed to high heat is vulnerable to oxidation. And we know that BKVP has been using a compressed wood product for heat for years.
He uses Neil's, and has never posted a pic of the inside of his stove. I work on dozens and dozens of different stoves, I rarely ever see rust inside them like this. It's pretty humid around here, and most people certainely don't use seasoned wood.
It was just a thought, definitely worth a second look in my opinion.

Camera flashes make things look a whole lot different than they really are. The black areas in my firebox look like rust when a flash pic is taken.

Camera flashes make things look a whole lot different than they really are. The black areas in my firebox look like rust when a flash pic is taken.
Good point. I've noticed that when taking pictures of stoves I've refinished. They always look better in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.