Do I need to silicone the pipe to stove connection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgeman

Burning Hunk
Dec 14, 2013
Center Barnstead N.H.
Every year I have put high temp silicone at the pipe to stove connection point on my Harman Accentra. This connection is very hard to disconnect in the spring. The configuration of the hook up makes it impossible to twist the connection. The other sections are siliconed and do not need to be taken apart for cleaning. Is it hooked into a old wood stove thimble in a center chimney set up. I have concerns about the connection getting loose due to the slight vibrations from the various motors and fans. Is pipe with built in gaskets a better option here? It would set me back a couple of hundred to change out to the new pipe with gaskets.

Every year I have put high temp silicone at the pipe to stove connection point on my Harman Accentra. This connection is very hard to disconnect in the spring. The configuration of the hook up makes it impossible to twist the connection. The other sections are siliconed and do not need to be taken apart for cleaning. Is it hooked into a old wood stove thimble in a center chimney set up. I have concerns about the connection getting loose due to the slight vibrations from the various motors and fans. Is pipe with built in gaskets a better option here? It would set me back a couple of hundred to change out to the new pipe with gaskets.
Can you access it well enough to tape it with silicone tape ? Several people here are advocates of high heat tape at that joint, then you can peel the tape and pull the pipe off without the inner adhesive effect. Saves you a bunch of money. But ya otherwise that joint should be sealed. i packed that joint with red silicone but I can get a straight shot through to my clean out T from inside the P series Harman.

Reactions: Bioburner
I don't think I can get to the spot without some disassembly in a tight spot. I'm hard against the brick hearth at 10" clearance. It may be easier than the brutal pulling and prying every spring. I will definitely give that a close look before I fire it up for the season. It's 71 with 92 % humidity tonight. I be using the AC later.
Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.