do i run the cat combuster all night?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
hey all,
last night i had to run all night, oil heat is busted
I loaded 3 splits at a time(cant get much else in)
12:00
3:30
6:30
cause i was unsure if i should run the Catalytic while i slept... what happens if the cat is on and the fire completely goes out? (cause i dont wake up) is that bad?
normally i run the combuster until coals and stove top falls below 400. then i shut down combuster, reload, wait about 15-20 minutes for my flue temp to get back to 450 and crank combuster again. (normally i'm getting ~4+ hrs a load w/cat)

so..
when does/what temp makes the cat combuster shut off?
and will i get problems if i leave it on and the stove runs cold/out?

Leave the convertor on until the fire is done and you only have coals. Once the converter lights off, it will run until there is no more smoke to burn off. It is totally cool to run the converter all night.

Once the combuster is engaged leave it engaged. BUT, you will need to disengage it when loading new wood.

If the combuster is "on" when the fire goes out it's fine... That's how it is meant to be run.

i wasnt sure, and i didnt want to experiment and fill the house w/smoke w/kids in the house.
cool, i've always killed the combuster and cut down the air supply when i went bed.
psych'd nowing i can get a little longer night run, and not worry about the flue temp. getting too hot.

and yes i always TRY to remember to disengage when i reload.

thanks guys

Leave the combustor engaged. When you disengage and cut the air back, you're just making a smoldering mess of the fire.

i finally understand that, i was just unsure if i was supposed to leave it until the fire was totally out.

if i lower the air and i'm smoldering more when engaged does that mean my cat. is not going to be able to burn enough and i will still get a small amount of smoke out the cap? i AM supposed to lower the air as needed when engaged right?

sorry i know this combuster thing is an easy process, i just find the whole thought of my brick burning smoke, ignitable at 500 degree but still lit at 200, odd and not easy to get through my head.

Because the combustor actually combusts or burns the smoke, it generates its own heat. Once it lights off, as long as there is smoke it combusts and combusts, remaining ignited by the heat of it's own combustion regardless of fire box temp. It stops combusting when your wood is reduced to the coal stage and there is no more smoke to combust, even if the firebox temp is still above 500. If it stays engaged after it stops combusting on through the coal stage, no harm done. In other words, to first light it off, you have to have firebox temps of at least 500, once it lights off, it generates so much heat from the smoke supply that it is self sustaining. From there it will continue to combust until your fire stops producing smoke. The way you were burning before was kind of using your stove as an old smoke dragon. :eek:hh: ,shutting down the air and directing all that smoldering smoke right up your chimney :ahhh:

Moondoggy didnt you read any of the stuff I recommended in your earlier threads on the com-busters and stove manuals. Its called a cat stove so use it as one. Dont complicate it. Use it. ;-)

got it thanks.
the only time i restricted air flow with out the cat. was when i had coals before going to bed. figured it'd last longer.

north of 60- i read it. some things made sense. but my mind still A) needs things repeated. & B) questions itself constantly.
thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.