Do inserts need to be leveled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
I have been working on my insert installation today and found that the base of my fireplace is made with an angled firebrick just before it transitions onto the hearth. This will make the back side of my insert set lower than the front. I assume I will need to level the back with some firebrick to make it set level. Is this correct? I checked out the manual and didn't see anything regarding this.

Thanks,
Rob

KYrob said:
I have been working on my insert installation today and found that the base of my fireplace is made with an angled firebrick just before it transitions onto the hearth. This will make the back side of my insert set lower than the front. I assume I will need to level the back with some firebrick to make it set level. Is this correct? I checked out the manual and didn't see anything regarding this.

Thanks,
Rob
Hey rob i had the same issue with my insert, but after reading the manual "thoroughly" at my wife's urging i noticed i had two leveling legs on the front of mine. Check it out yours might also. Or you could be like my father and tell me to leave it unlevel that way the splits don't fall out. :shut:

Well you actually answered something I was wondering about myself, because my insert has leveling bolts and the manual had all these instructions on which firebricks you need to remove to level them etc. The bottom of my fireplace is flat and I was wondering why they had these leveling bolts and instructions at all! I'm guessing here but if your insert does NOT have these bolts you could use a pc of scrap metal to do it?

Yes, the insert should be leveled. Many inserts have leveling legs at the back for this purpose. But if not, a leveling shim under a sheet of metal will do the trick. The sheet metal is so that the insert can be easily pulled without messing with the shim.

If the insert isn't level, your fires will be crooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.