Do inserts require an existing fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmcg

Aug 13, 2008
New Brunswick
I have an electric fireplace/mantle sitting in living room, and I would love to put an insert where this thing currently sits. I don't have room for a full sized stove. Is it possible to buy an insert that doesn't fit into an existing fireplace? Or am I looking at spending a lot of money to put holes in my walls?

yes hence the name ;) they insert into an existing masonry fireplace

Welcome to the Wide, Wonderful World of freestanding woodstoves. They come in all shapes and sizes. Rick

You don't need an existing fireplace to put an insert in. However, you will be spending alot of money poking holes in the wall, ceiling, and roof. There are zero clearance inserts that don't require a traditional chimney and fireplace. These inserts are desgined to fit in prefab fireplaces, which aren't traditional fireplaces.

You need to download a few manuals for zero clearance inserts and see what type of 'hearth' you'll need and what type of liner to use. As well as the clearance to combustables you need.

It will probably cost about the same as a wood stove to install one. Then you will have the added expense of building a fireplace around the insert that meets specification.

Karl,

Are you talking insert, or high efficiency fireplace? If he wants to burn wood, he has two options as I see it:

1. Wood burning fireplace
2. Wood burning stove

If you are starting from scratch, which it certainly sounds like you are, an 'insert' would not even be part of the equation, unless I am missing something.

Edit: By 'wood burning fireplace' I am referring to a zero clearance high efficiency unit. Both items 1 and 2 would be a pretty substantial undertaking as well.

The clearance to combustables on my Summit are

8.5 inches to the side wall
21 inches above it
I believe the base is just a non combustable surface.

I never said it would be easy or ideal, just doable.

Take a look at zero clearance high efficiency fireplaces, such as those offered by Kozy Heat, BIS/Lennox, etc.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.