do inserts that stick out require the hearth to be raised to support the part thats ticks out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
my installer guy is here and he says that every insert he installs usualy has that to stop the thing from tilting forward and falling out.
i know i asked the guy who came to look at my house(the owner of the co i bought it from) about that and he said it would be OK, and building up around it is only cosmetic.
do i need to have a non combustible material support the insert on the front portion that protrudes from the ZC fireplace?

In order to make em secure & frankly, to make em look good, you need a hearth riser.
Otherwise it'll look like the facing (surround) is just kinda hangin there...
We weld together some 1/4 " plate so that the entire surround width is supported & the riser
extends out far enuff to support the blower housing (yours may not need it)...

Franks said:
what kind of insert and how much space are you trying to make up?
the insert is an enviro venice 1700
it sticks out 10-11"
the distance from the hearth floor is 8"

My old Lopi was a freedom bay model and stuck out onto/above the hearth. The insert also had four legs under it that weren't out under the protrusion. In that case, the stove is supported by the inboard legs and the protrusion did not need support. In fact, under that protrusion is where you slid the full width blower assembly so you needed it to be free of junk.

one last question.
there is a small 1" hole where the gas line came into the ZC fireplace. does this need to be plugged before putting the insert into the ZC box?

I would plug it, just to plug it. I would check with Enviro and see if they make a "ZC riser kit" kind of arrangement. Going back to my Quadrafire days, I know there was some kind of support mechanism that followed the same shape as the surround and face of the insert, that was available in different heights that would prvide a finished look and support to a fireplace insert.

well it is installed and looks damn good!
i could have easily done this install but then i would not have a warranty per the mfg requirements...

well, whatever you paid for installation, take 30% offa that if your going to get the tax credit. If the net is only a few hundred bucks, thats great to get the warranty and some piece of mind that it was installed by proffesionals.

well it is official i am now a wood burner...
after a LOT of trying i got my wet wood to burn.
looks like the wood i want to start the fires with i will need to cook in the oven at 300-400F for an hour to get the moisture out.
cost effective? no, but it lets me burn this season! :)

i will post pictures in a second

Franks said:
...installed by proffesionals.

I think that is what installed my first stove. :lol:

i knew more about this stove and its install than the "experets"
why? because i read the install manual atleast a dozen times before today.
they read it once and did it as they went along...
DSCN5388.jpg

first attempt at burning.. utter FAILURE
DSCN5391.jpg

DSCN5395.jpg

toss those logs into the oven for an hour, and out they come, ready to burn...
DSCN5396.jpg

DSCN5393.jpg

DSCN5394.jpg

thanks again everyone for all the help. i would have given up long ago if it was not for this forum.
not to worry though, i plan on sticking around as i am sure i will have more questions as my burning career progresses..

BrotherBart said:
Franks said:
...installed by proffesionals.

I think that is what installed my first stove. :lol:

Please move that propane tank. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
Please move that propane tank. :ahhh:

you dont miss anything do you. :)
the MAP torch tank was empty in that photo, but still a valid reason to be concerned..
it is moved now, and recharged with a new bottle, stored a good 15' away from the fireplace now.
thanks for the heads up

Nice looking install. did you pre heat oven? :roll:

ohio woodburner said:
Nice looking install. did you pre heat oven?
pre heat the oven i dried the wood in?
no, just tossed the logs in there and let it get to 400-450 and waited about a half hour.

my only gripe thus far is that the fan is fairly quiet most of the time, but then it will start to make a different pitch noise, sort of like the noise a electrical transformer makes, a whingeing noise.
it does not make this noise all the time, and im fairly sure it is not a loose bolt or something.
not sure if this is normal or not or if i am being too anal retentive about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.