Do most stoves need a bottom adapter for double-walled stovepipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raderator

Dec 3, 2010
Northeast
Like this?

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6638

6638_large.jpg

How about the 17-VL? Thanks

That is the style which fits over a collar on your stove. There is another version for "flush mount" which fits down into the outlet from the stove. I have one stove that takes one style and another which requires the other style. In both cases, neither style fits. I am this very morning gearing up to alter the flush mount I just bought and it will take a die grinder and drill and couple other tools to do it. Pain in the hinder.

So, be prepared to have a hassle, maybe. Back to your question, I have yet another stove which does not require one. By the way, those things are called "stove adaptors". I don't know anything about the stove you are dealing with.

None on our stove using Simpson DVL.

Same as BeGreen

I had a little stainless steel adapter that fit into my stove and the pipe into that.

I have the same pipe except mine is 8". It fits the stove collar but it is SNUG. I used a stove adapter and it sucked. Leaked air like a SOB and sent my stack nuclear. Have a post about it (old blaze king runs away).

I think you'll be fine without it...but it is SNUG. You might want to lube it with some graphite powder to get the outside of the DSP on the outside of the collar.

Just went to HD to look at the 17-VL again. I could NOT get 6" single pipe to fit in the top. Tried two, one was pretty round. The opening is exactly 6". They should have added a fraction. Looks like only crimped pipe will fit.

Metalbest's double-pipe inner pipe is crimped, so it probably will fit, assuming the outer pipe fits on the outside.

6" DSP is 6 1/2" OD and 5 29/32" inner. Should work.

Thanks BG. Guess I'll stop messing around with the idea of single pipe and order the double. I just hope that adapter ring works. I still don't see how it would. Unless the chimney pipe just rest on it cuz it doesn't look like it's long enuf to go inside. There is no room for anything wider that a sheet of metal anyway.

Img_3019.jpg

ring.jpg

Unless I order the ring first. It should come before Dec 31st. I'll I still have time to order the rest and get the tax credit. Not from Dynomitebuys tho. They take weeks to deliver Metalbest.

THIS IS TOO COMPLICATED

raderator said:
Thanks BG. Guess I'll stop messing around with the idea of single pipe and order the double. I just hope that adapter ring works. I still don't see how it would. Unless the chimney pipe just rest on it cuz it doesn't look like it's long enuf to go inside. There is no room for anything wider that a sheet of metal anyway.

Unless I order the ring first. It should come before Dec 31st. I'll I still have time to order the rest and get the tax credit. Not from Dynomitebuys tho. They take weeks to deliver Metalbest.

THIS IS TOO COMPLICATED

thats the wrong adapter.
unless you can un install the class a first, you will need the basic dsa--looks like a std slip connector

Thanks Dave. I was thinking that's what I needed. Only works with single wall, tho.

4549_large5.jpg

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4549

Top opening is 8 7/32", which should work. The end on the chimney inner pipe seems to be 8" even. I tried putting an 8" to 6" adapter I got at Agway on it but it would not fit. Looked perfect tho.

I think I'll just try this one. It looks like it's stepped, so might fit. Stainless.

adapter3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.