Do "old forum members" ever die?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
Now calm down all you "senior burners", your all doing fine! What I want to know is do members of this forum that haven't posted for a certain time frame get deleted? Should they get deleted as to reflect a more accurate account of active members? If so, after how long? Just wondering..........

Well, a few of us go up in smoke once in a while... And there have been a few flame outs.
I'd better stop before I make an ash of myself (duck). :)

I send email once in a while to all registered members, and usually get just one or two (out of 2200) who ask to be removed from mailing.

So even if they are quiet, they still know we are here. On the other hand, as you can see by the "guest" count, there are MANY non-members reading this and other areas of the site without registration. Right now we are getting about 8,000 visitors per day to the site and I doubt even 100 of those are registered forum members.

If you look at the member list there are about 780 members with "0" post and a little over 400 members with only "1" post.
( thought it was interesting )

I bet Craig's glad you pointed that out, Roo.

Roospike said:
If you look at the member list there are about 780 members with "0" post and a little over 400 members with only "1" post.
( thought it was interesting )

Always the case - I had email lists with 1000 people and only 10 talked.

Also, remember that people who sign up and contribute to the fuel price guide will not have that counted as forum posts.

Another thing - only registered members can see certain forums, like the Ash Can and the industry ones.

Eric Johnson said:
I bet Craig's glad you pointed that out, Roo.

Actually its the large # of people that visit the site that are not members and the low post count members looking to "BUY" vs the big mouths like us that already own wood stoves.

I'd put my money on advertisement on the large # of new people or visitors than i would the few high post count users.

Somewhat true - Remember that I've said before that the google ads on the forum pull in less "action" than the same ads elsewhere on the site - sometimes by a factor of 10X or more. In other words, you have no value!

Well, I don't mean that! We may have no value as $$$, but in terms of personal help to people, we are next in line to Mother Theresa.

If not for one frequent poster Pacific Energy would have sold a grand total of three stoves last year. PE oughta pony up as a site sponsor.

*******************:lol:**************************

BrotherBart said:
If not for one frequent poster Pacific Energy would have sold a grand total of three stoves last year. PE oughta pony up as a site sponsor.

*******************:lol:**************************

HEY!

I resemble that remark. :)

I think its silly at best NOT to advertise on a great hearth forum such as this one.

Tho "word of mouth" is one of the best way of advertisement , kinda the reason we visit forums.

I'm sure that there are many members who first come here and join looking for specific information regarding a purchase, installation, problem or general question. Once they have the information they needed, they visit much less frequently and join in the discussion even less. It's the rarer few of us that stick around after we have the information we originally came for.

I know that in my case, I came here looking for advice on selecting, purchasing and installing my first fireplace insert. The difference is that along the way, I became more and more involved in reading posts and coming up with other questions that I stuck around long enough to be able to pass on some of the knowledge and experience that I gained to other newbies. Now I'm hooked. Besides, where could you find a better bunch of people to chat with?

I am quite sure that with the new software and the ignore feature that I spend quite a bit of time just talking to myself though.....

of course im one of those strange people that decided to do this for a living, but, i hang out here to chat with the old timers and help out the newb's. My answers are usally short and to the point, for two reasons, one, i dont have time at work to write a book, and two, i usually dont spell too well (to, two or too?)
I belong to severl forms, but this one is by far the freindlist, diverse, and politicaly challenges corners on the net. On second thought.. its not that diverse.. about 99% of you are on the east side of the mississippi.
For the record, i havent got one of those emails from craig asking if i want to retire my membership.

Old members don't die.

They are just passed through the catalytic combustor of the forum and reburned to keep the server running. We get every possible BTU out of the members here.

I do suppose that there are a few of us who just don't have much to say, but enjoy reading the posts.

"Do “old forum members” ever die?"

Just Faye Dunaway.

And some of us just have changes in circumstances that prevent us from hanging around as much. I try and at least lurk and check out any new posts at least every couple of days, although I find my ability to actually take part in a lot of the threads somewhat limited lately. I think there may be a few more of the "oldtimers" in the same situation. Actually, I've only been a member for a little over a year, but I consider myself an oldtimer since I joined before the new software, and the ever increasing tide of new members that has occurred since.
I definately have to tip my hat to a lot of the other oldtimers, Craig of course (and W.W.) and a lot of the folks that steered me in the right direction initially like Roo, Elk, Eric J., Mo'Heat, BeGreen, Brother Bart,Warren,Rhonemas, Cozy, Corie and Tom the Chimney Sweep. If I've missed anyone, my apologies.
I've posted lots, but these are the folks that time and time again come to the forefront and manage to help out all those in need of answers.

I even occassionaly miss the "F" word, if not for his knowledge, at least his ability to get a thread going (if you have to ask, you weren't here then)
I've also really enjoyed having another Summit insert guy around now that HogWildz is here. Got a few Summit folks, but not many of us with inserts, at least not regulars.

Always glad to see your posts pop up Will for that far north perspective. And for a Summit that really delivers the btus.

BeGreen said:
Always glad to see your posts pop up Will for that far north perspective. And for a Summit that really delivers the btus.

************ :zip: ***************

LOL, oh cmon Roo, I know it gets cold in the mid-section too. But your stove and Elk's run themselves, change the kitty litter box and wash the dishes too... Some of us have more humble heaters. :)

frank got banned quite some time ago.
the banned list i can think of.......
frank ivy
big eric
dylan

are there any others?

bruce56bb said:
frank got banned quite some time ago.
the banned list i can think of.......
frank ivy
big eric
dylan

are there any others?

Gideon, the ghost of Frank.

Also , There was the naked guy in his profile picture bragging about big wood. I told him he is still only in the kindling stage and then let Craig know about him. :lol:

I think he only made 5 posts before he went "poof". Craig closed the damper on that BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.