Do people BEG you to cut wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Just wondering if others have found themselves being begged for help.

Just yesterday, had a fella approach me. He got himself in trouble by agreeing to take a bunch of trees (all on the ground) that he doesn't have the equipment to handle. He has a little 35 cc with a 16" bar, cheapo that ain't gonna handle a few of these trees. Its been a while since he agreed to take the trees and he has been working on the stack, but now needs help to get-er-done.

He simply wants me to buck it up, he will haul and drop off any of the wood that I want for my help. Not a bad deal really, considering there are a few nice oaks, and he just burns outside so he doesn't care what the flavor is. He is a pretty good kid, (next door neighbor to my parents and treats them good) so I agreed to help. Turns out that he will need a bunch split also. I think I will "charge" him about 3 or 4 good sized oaks for this. He knows I don't lend my equipment out, so I come with it.

the 3 or 4 good sized oaks will be about 30-40% of whats left to buck.

Any of you folks find yourself in similar positions??

No :shut:

And as if that isn't bad enough I don't even have any equipment that people would want to borrow. Doesn't seem like a lot of demand for a 6" alligator blade chainsaw where we live. :lol:

PapaDave said:
Jags said:

Oh man, I wish! Heck, they wouldn't even have to beg.
Dave
What he said!

No, but I've got enough people asking now that I'm a lot more picky about what kind of wood I'll go get and
how far I'll go for it.

Ho yea , we have trees all over the place . Its been very windy . I'm every ones best friend I cut ,haul ,split , and rake up branches etc . Most of the time my friendship costs about 200 bucks an hour .

Friend asked me to help him cut up a limb that fell onto his property from the neighbor. Took a look at it, about a 12" ash!!! I told him that if one limb could fall, maybe the rest of the tree could and he should ask the guy about taking down the entire tree. I got a 24" ash out of the deal. To say I was happy would be an understatement.
I'm more than happy to take the wood to help a guy out.

Jamess67 said:
PapaDave said:
Jags said:

Oh man, I wish! Heck, they wouldn't even have to beg.
Dave
What he said!

I understand, but I am in a situation that many times wood just falls at my feet with little effort. I have plenty of wood for probably 3 or 4 years worth right now. Storage is not a problem for me, but man, I already have a pile to be bucked and split on top of the 3 or 4 years. Thats one reason that I will only take a bit from this outing (well if you call 3 or 4 oak trunks a "bit"), and will be selective of the wood as well. The kid is an outdoor burner only, so not picky at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.