1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do people BEG you to cut wood?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Jags, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Just wondering if others have found themselves being begged for help.

Just yesterday, had a fella approach me. He got himself in trouble by agreeing to take a bunch of trees (all on the ground) that he doesn't have the equipment to handle. He has a little 35 cc with a 16" bar, cheapo that ain't gonna handle a few of these trees. Its been a while since he agreed to take the trees and he has been working on the stack, but now needs help to get-er-done.

He simply wants me to buck it up, he will haul and drop off any of the wood that I want for my help. Not a bad deal really, considering there are a few nice oaks, and he just burns outside so he doesn't care what the flavor is. He is a pretty good kid, (next door neighbor to my parents and treats them good) so I agreed to help. Turns out that he will need a bunch split also. I think I will "charge" him about 3 or 4 good sized oaks for this. He knows I don't lend my equipment out, so I come with it.

the 3 or 4 good sized oaks will be about 30-40% of whats left to buck.

Any of you folks find yourself in similar positions??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jadm

jadm New Member

Loc:
    colorado
    No :shut:

And as if that isn't bad enough I don't even have any equipment that people would want to borrow. Doesn't seem like a lot of demand for a 6" alligator blade chainsaw where we live. :lol:
  3. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Oh man, I wish! Heck, they wouldn't even have to beg.
    Dave
  4. Jamess67

Jamess67 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    What he said!
  5. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    No, but I've got enough people asking now that I'm a lot more picky about what kind of wood I'll go get and
    how far I'll go for it.
  6. wellbuilt home

wellbuilt home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    Ho yea , we have trees all over the place . Its been very windy . I'm every ones best friend I cut ,haul ,split , and rake up branches etc . Most of the time my friendship costs about 200 bucks an hour .
  7. chad3

chad3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    Friend asked me to help him cut up a limb that fell onto his property from the neighbor. Took a look at it, about a 12" ash!!! I told him that if one limb could fall, maybe the rest of the tree could and he should ask the guy about taking down the entire tree. I got a 24" ash out of the deal. To say I was happy would be an understatement.
    I'm more than happy to take the wood to help a guy out.
  8. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I understand, but I am in a situation that many times wood just falls at my feet with little effort. I have plenty of wood for probably 3 or 4 years worth right now. Storage is not a problem for me, but man, I already have a pile to be bucked and split on top of the 3 or 4 years. Thats one reason that I will only take a bit from this outing (well if you call 3 or 4 oak trunks a "bit"), and will be selective of the wood as well. The kid is an outdoor burner only, so not picky at all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.