do radiators prevent window heat loss?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semlin

Nov 23, 2009
okanagan, bc
can anyone explain to me the theory behind placing radiators in front of windows? i have read that it creates a convection air current that partially shields the house against cold air intake from the window. if that is right, does the effect continue at lower radiator temps that don't contribute much to heating the house?

applying the question to my situation, i have an old house with cast iron radiators and a lot of nice big old single paned windows that are a major source of heat loss. i also have an aging gas boiler. the extra cost of going over to a wood boiler and storage tank and keeping the old gas boiler in parallel vs. a new gas boiler would be a lot less than storm windows. so i am wondering if a storage tank system might work to counter the window heat loss even when the tank drops to lower temps where circulating the water does not really heat the house much (the boiler runs at 160 outbound right now).

The whole idea of radiators (or baseboards) in front of windows is to prevent a layer of cold air from forming on the window, sliding down the wall, and flowing onto the floor. Heat rising from the heating elemnet prevents this, increasing comfort for a given average room temp - cold feet make the room seem colder.

It does not reduce heat loss to the outside, though.

i see. so instead of forming a cold stratum near the floor, the cold air drawn in through the window mixes with the rising hot air from the radiator and spreads heat loss evenly around the room? that makes more sense. thanks.

This slightly increases the heat loss by the windows, but given the alternative of cold drafts across the floor from the windows, it is usually a reasonable compromise.

I lived in some old rrfaty apartments which I hated paying for heat going out the old windows so I used to use the plastic hair dryer window stuff in the winter. it helped dramatically when I used it and for 10 bucks at a local walmart the price is cheaper than new windows however youw ill probably be cursing it out a bit until you get the hang of taping and heat shrinking the stuff I know I did.

We use that stuff alot in our house...

Status
Not open for further replies.