do sidearms need coin vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodwood

Jun 19, 2011
cny
i finally hooked up a sidearm to the hot water heater, it didnt come with any instructions, but i put a tee in my drain valve connected that to bottom of sidearm, put a tee in the pressure relief valve outlet hooked to that from top of sidearm, is it neccesary to install coin vent, if so could i drill and tap the tee on top, also do these ever overheat the hot water heaters thanks for any info

i made a small one for my shop and it makes the water real hot. if it was at my house id have something in place to control the water temp.

I also had to install one in the top elbow due to trapped air. Make sure you have a tempering valve on the DHW outlet. Temps in my DHW tank routinely top 160*F.

I don't have one in mine and it has functioned fine going on six winters now. Used to get air in my w/a exchanger but replumbed with counter-flow and don't have that problem now.

Status
Not open for further replies.