Do smaller splits season faster?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Subject says it all....I have some big pine splits buried in the snow and was wondering if I split them down into smaller pieces if it will season fully for next winter....I mean I've got a lot of pine!....probably 2-3 cords...

Without a doubt, the smaller splits will season faster. However, your larger splits should still be seasoned by next winter.

Yes they will!

I bought 2-1/2 full cords of mixed hardwoods in March of 2008 - the supplier said they were "seasoned" and to his credit, they were more seasoned and dry than what I would have probably gotten from anyone else. But they were still not 2+ year seasoned and 20% moisture content dry. So I split about a cord into splits no bigger than 2-3" and have had great success getting good secondary combustion in my stove with them.

It's all about surface area exposed to the elements. Yes, smaller splits will certainly season faster than larger ones. Wood left in the round with the bark on will take the longest...like forever. Rick

It's sort of like I told a lady last week when she asked the same question. I told her to do her laundry and that one washcloth and one towel and hang them on the line to dry. Now, which one do you suppose will dry the fastest?

Backwoods Savage said:
It's sort of like I told a lady last week when she asked the same question. I told her to do her laundry and that one washcloth and one towel and hang them on the line to dry. Now, which one do you suppose will dry the fastest?
The one that gets the most sun and air? ;-)

Shipper

Status
Not open for further replies.