Do stoves push heat to lower levels?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I know heat rises. However, do stoves push heat to lower levels (through the floor) as well? In other words, if the stove is directly above the living space in a finished basement...will the heat pass through the floor and heat the nearby area?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

unfortunately, no

pen

Nope, my basement stays comfortably in the 50's all winter long. :lol:

rdust said:
Nope, my basement stays comfortably in the 50's all winter long. :lol:

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just switch my new heat pump hot water heater over to fully electric in the colder months then. It just doesn't get warm enough down the basement to support it and the water isn't heating well enough.

At least in the warmer months it'll save me money.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

No.

It's why I now have 2 stoves. The difference is 4 steps, and 1 36" door way.

Trust me, I tried.

our basement sits at about 55f with the stove running on the main floor. to warm things up we added a basement stove. so in this house the answer is no . pete

I had stove insert put in my fireplace which is in the basement family room. My basement is nice and cozy. I have my furnace fan on ON instead of AUTO and I have closed off the overhead heating vents downstairs and placed a box fan at the base of the stairs/entrance to the family room blowing toward (as suggested on this forum) the stove/heat on the other end of the room. Since warm air DOES rise it enables me to keep my upstairs thermostat lower.

Battenkiller said:
I'm not sure. My stove is in the basement. I'll have to ask the Devil when I get down there.

When you speak with him, ask him if I can tap some plumbing into his furnace so I can better heat my home........eternal flame, no wood to cut and stack- count me in!

emt1581 said:
I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just switch my new heat pump hot water heater over to fully electric in the colder months then. It just doesn't get warm enough down the basement to support it and the water isn't heating well enough.

At least in the warmer months it'll save me money.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Or perhaps just move the heat pump to the living room with the woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.