Do they make a different stove pipe ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firecattr1

Feb 7, 2014
WVa
Howdy gents ! It's been awhile since I've been on here . I've running a drolet austral with the pipe coming out the top . I was wondering if they make a different kind of stove pipe that telescopes ? It's super hard to clean the pipe and put it back everything fits so tite . I'm cleaning once a month because of creosote build up . There has got to be an easier way . And when creosote falls it lands on some sort of plate down inside the stove , how do you keep from getting that build up ?

Single wall, double wall? Double wall has telescoping sections and single wall also has a telescope / slide collar option.

Just got one at tractor supply, 12" section of 6" single wall, it's like a sleeve, think it was around 10 bucks.
Here it is:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/imperial-slip-connector-24-ga-6-in-dia-x-12-in-l

You've got something askew if you have to clean monthly. Wet wood, poor set up, improper operation.... frequent cleaning won't hurt anything but if it's needed, you need to adjust something.

Thanks for the reply ! I don't know , I can't figure it out . My meter says my wood is between 12 and 18 % . Stove pipe run straight up no angles of any kind . Only thing I can think of is I run a fan behind the stove to move the heat " maybe it's cooling down the stove pipe " . Or shut my stove down at 10.30 for the night the next morn a bed of coals is perfect for rekindling . I try to run my stove between 300 and 450 degrees on the stove pipe , maybe it ain't gettin hot enough ?

Thanks for the reply ! I don't know , I can't figure it out . My meter says my wood is between 12 and 18 % . Stove pipe run straight up no angles of any kind . Only thing I can think of is I run a fan behind the stove to move the heat " maybe it's cooling down the stove pipe " . Or shut my stove down at 10.30 for the night the next morn a bed of coals is perfect for rekindling . I try to run my stove between 300 and 450 degrees on the stove pipe , maybe it ain't gettin hot enough ?
When testing moisture, the split should be at room temp, then split it again and press the pins into the freshly-exposed surface. What kind of stove do you have? Where is the stove pipe meter, surface magnet meter about 12-18" above the stove top? I'm not familiar with tube stoves but I think if you load before bed, then cut the air too far, you'll stall the re-burn and your chimney will gunk up fast.

Drolet austral . My temp magnet is 18" above the stove . I got this new stove for insurance purposes . My old vesta upright ? Heated just as good and we never had creasote problem , green or seasoned wood didn't matter .

Yeah, you were blowing so much heated air up the flue that it overcame the problem by shooting all the nasties out the top of the pipe before they could condense. With an efficient stove, not as much heat goes up the flue so condensation becomes more of an issue. Fortunately, with dry wood and a good re-burn of gasses, your flue will still stay clean. Not to mention that you will cut your wood usage by at least 1/3, and keep your neighbors' breathing air a lot cleaner. You'll feel good about that, right? >>
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, yes you can get a telescoping pipe that will make cleaning a breeze. Just make sure to get the same brand as the rest of your chimney system so that everything will bolt right up. With dry wood, I'm only brushing my liner once, at the end of the season.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Status
Not open for further replies.