1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do they make a left handed smoke bender? seriously I could use help

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by infinitymike, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    You mean one of these? http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/cool-attic-12-in-galvanized-standard-wind-turbine/0000000004781

I wonder what effect that would have on the draft.
    Not that I think I have any real draft with only 10' of pipe. I think the fan pushes that exhaust right up and out.
  3. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY

ME TOO !
  4. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I'm willing to wait until your schedule opens up. :)
  5. Maybe you need to give him something else to complain about. Something that you can cave in on to keep him happy. But he get's a reputation as the town crybaby.
    heaterman likes this.
  6. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
  7. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Hey Mike from maine.

What happened to your biomass 60 and whats a V-gun(L)
    or are you just mocking us WG owners.:mad:
  8. Maybe soak some wood chips in it and stuff them in your cyclone?
  9. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Mmmm.... like mesquite... then I'll invite him over for dinner!
  10. Fire D After Fire Odor Control Liquid

The most effective deodorant available for the removal of all odors associated with fires. Designed to be used full strength, this powerful liquid will also combat the odors of floods, decomposition and other sources. Best used in a thermal fogger. One ounce of Fire D will handle 1,000 cubic feet.
  11. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    So of course since this incident last Thursday, I've been paying careful attention to HIS house.
    I've noticed that he leaves his overhead garage door open ALL day and that he has a wall mounted AC unit on the inside wall of the garage.

So I'm sure if he would keep the door closed and put a cover on the AC unit he wouldn't have a problem.

Looks like I gotta go a knocking.
  12. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I Wonder if my neighbor posted this on The Weather Channel

Image-1.png
  13. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan

Yah! Like talk one of his upwind neighbors into installing an OWB. He'll forget about you in a heartbeat. ;)
    mikefrommaine likes this.
  14. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    windhager 2013 004.JPG
    You know Taylor.........you are probably on to something there. When I was at Windhager in Austria a few weeks ago, I noticed that their cord wood boiler had steel panels inside the firebox that stood off the actual sides of the water jacket. This would have the effect of insulating the water jacket walls in that area to avoid heavy buildup of creosote on them. It also allows the surface that "see's" the fire to attain much higher temperatures which I would assume helps to further elevate temperatures going into the secondary chamber for a cleaner burn. At the least it would prevent some of the solids from condensing in the relatively cool walls of the water jacket.
    windhager 2013 003.JPG
  15. salecker

salecker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Canada
  16. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Heaterman, to be completly honest, I've often wondered why someone doesn't design a boiler that is esentially an secondary baffled EPA stove inside a conventional water-jacketed boiler. All combustion gasses would only see the hot steel which would be completly seperated by an air space (1/2" or something close) from the water cooled steel. Basically a triple walled appliance:

Fire w/ simple secondary baffle (EPA stove),
    Then hot steel (otuside of stove assy.)
    Air space
    Steel
    Water
    Steel
    Insulation and boiler skin

I say all of thins because I've been very impressed with the simplicity of my EPA (Quadrafire Millenium) stove and how incredibly clean it burns with no birdging, primary or secondary air mixture issues, and simple firebrick on the bottom and sides. I think this could incorporate a firetubed turbolated HX, but my stove operates very well with 300F stack temps and I have never cleaned the chimney in 4 years (about 4 cord total through the stove). Always smoke free. Just some thoughts.

TS
    711mhw likes this.
  17. hiker88

hiker88 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Maine
    What kind of boiler is that? It looks almost the same as mine. Froling calls the removable plates inside the primary "cladding plates".
  18. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Do you have a pic or link to the type you are referring to?
  19. __dan

__dan Burning Hunk

Hey Mike, I hope you give that some consideration. Do not tell him what to do, imo, it will only inflame the situation.

Legally, you may be in the clear burning cord wood, as long as there are no additives, regardless of the smoke. But it sounds like a sensitive situation. The neighbor will want his butt kissed, not his work list increased. In the end that's what you will have to depend on, your legality. His sensitivity to what he can smell could be anything, he could smell a barbecue at 200 ft. There could be no eliminating that, only mitigating measures.

Talked to my senile neighbor today, he called after getting tossed off my friend/neighbor's property. I listened and he complained his foyer was not wired and I said "get it inspected and sheet rock it" (which he disputed). He was reaching out, which is rare, and I was able to get my six ft. ladder and belt sander back from long term loan.

Have to add, he called the fire marshall who told him to call the health district, which he did. Cannot say more on a public board, but you guys who build surely have an idea..
  20. shawntitan

shawntitan Member

Loc:
    NJ
    Would something like this work? I've thought the same thing... Any 'engineering/smarter than me' guys have any thoughts on this? Obviously the heat transfer would be limited some by the air space, but by how much?
  21. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
  22. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
  23. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY

Thanks Dan, I did give it more consideration. I decided to let it be and see what happens.
    I thought about going back to the town and speaking to the head plans examiner and requesting a permit which he originally said wasn't necessary or having him put it in writing that it isn't necessary. But again, I said lets not stir anything up.

Fortunately it is getting warmer and there will be less burning. And who knows maybe I won't heat DHW with wood this summer.

But there is still this consuming thought about next winter and what will happen then._g

If there is anything that might help, I'm still willing to try it.
  24. Tennman

Tennman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Tenn
    Sure seems that adding storage like suggested back on the first page of your thread would help the creosote and smell. Running an idling boiler now for 4 seasons, I have two clues when I need to go check my coal bed; 1) seeing any hint of bluish smoke or 2) any smell of the burn. Our house is downwind of the boiler virtually all the time about 120' from back door. When she's running hot and hard my old nose and the sensitive noses of the ladies can't tell it's there. At the moment I'm virtually burning all the time, potentially making smell. Next season, don't know if the burn time will 50% or 60% of the day, but it sure won't be 100% like it is now. Reducing daily burn time has to give you some flexibility in accommodating difficult neighbors. One 500 gal tank in hand, one to go. Sorry, best wishes.