Do they make an exhaust cap for a pellet stove with damper/flap on the end?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
I am looking for a end cap that has a flap/or damper kinda like a dryer vent or a downdraft vent has anyone heard of this?? My piep gets freezing when i don't use my stove and at times i get condensation on my wall thimble... however i am going through my foundation plus the brick on the outside of the house could that have anything to do with it?

can you go up vertical with some pipe?
This is the preferd way

hearthtools said:
can you go up vertical with some pipe?
This is the preferd way

it does i just dont want all of the cold air feeding back in to the stove which then makes it a icebox when not in use as well as condensation
around the inside wall thimble

there is not a flapper cap avalible from any of the pellet pipe manufactures that i know of. It would put backpressure on the combustion blower and cause problems in the long run, doing what hearthtools is suggesting is that going verticle will create some chimney effect, which would suck air out of the stove when not in use, instead of letting cold air in.

MountainStoveGuy said:
there is not a flapper cap avalible from any of the pellet pipe manufactures that i know of. It would put backpressure on the combustion blower and cause problems in the long run, doing what hearthtools is suggesting is that going verticle will create some chimney effect, which would suck air out of the stove when not in use, instead of letting cold air in.
ok thanks for the info its weird though, mine goes up 2 feet in the house then out its a real short run

you need at least 5' to creat positive draft out the stack.

Or you have a very negative pressure home, and its using the stove as a vent, in which case, the verticle wont help.

Min of 5 feet up after you go out the wall.

This will help keep smoke from backing into the home WHEN the power goes out.
and the stove will draft better.

Attachments

• PVupout.JPG
    PVupout.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 304
hearthtools said:
Min of 5 feet up after you go out the wall.

This will help keep smoke from backing into the home WHEN the power goes out.
and the stove will draft better.
that sucks ... do you know how ugly that pipe will look running up the side of my house:(
hmmmm guess i have to do it

Every install is unique. If your house is super tight then it could be using the stove for make up air for the house, in which case no resonable amount of pipe on a pellet stove will solve. You might have to install a outside air kit to fix that problem. If your sure thats not the problem, the solution that hearthtools suggests should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.