Do they make this? Wireless control for lights...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

I built a garage last spring. It is about 50 feet away from my house. I did not run a wire inside my house to allow me to turn the outside lights of the garage on/off. And now I regret it!

Does someone make a remote switch that can be turned on either by a remote or an App?

Thanks!

Andrew

I use the X-10/ Leviton system on my outdoor floodlights, makes it easy to flip them on from either florr of the house. One thing to be careful is that on some of the modules are set up for lights and some for appliances, the one set up for lights have a built in dimmer but they also turn on and stay on after every power blip. The applicance modules dont have dimming and when there is a power blip they trun off and saty off until turned on.

I have a cheap one I bought at Meijers on my drive way lights, they are out there I also use them on Halloween props.

I use the X-10/ Leviton system on my outdoor floodlights, makes it easy to flip them on from either florr of the house. One thing to be careful is that on some of the modules are set up for lights and some for appliances, the one set up for lights have a built in dimmer but they also turn on and stay on after every power blip. The applicance modules dont have dimming and when there is a power blip they trun off and saty off until turned on.

How do you turn those on? I would like to cotrol some X-10 switches with the home-link set-up in a car, I'm just not sure how I would program that. I'm pretty sure I need to buy something more than the X-10 switch, like a receiver or module?

I mostly use the wall mounted switches but there is a remote control for a car that can operate 4 circuits. There is a base unit with an antenna that plugs into an outlet. Its fairly old technology and I think they have added a a lot of functionality to it. I suspect someone has a app to out there for it.

I use the X10s, which work well except: the new electronic ballasts I installed in the kitchen lights apparently interfere with the signals. The outdoor lights sometimes turn themselves on, and I can't turn them off with the control box unless I first turn those fluorescents off. They must put some hash on the line that interferes. PITA!

Same thing with my upstairs computer/surge suppressor. The upstairs control box won't work if the 'puter is powered up.

I've used the X10 in several houses, and they've worked fine. Just not in this house.

except: the new electronic ballasts I installed in the kitchen lights apparently interfere with the signals
We were having trouble with electronic starters interfering with our digital TV on certain channels.
There are different grades, residential and commercial. I found that, at least in the brand at HD, replacing my commercial starter with one designated "residential"l fixed our interference problems.

Thanks, semipro - my ballasts are indeed commercial duty. I'll keep this in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.