Do unto others...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
So this morning I'm on my way to work and I see a HUGE maple that had come down during the nasty thunderstorm we had yesterday. When I finally had a change to stop back at lunchtime most of the wood was gone save for about 20 medium to large sized rounds. I pulled over and started loading them in the truck when this old timer pulled up and said "Are you going to take all of that? I just saw it and when I was going by so I went around the block to turn around." I told him "How about we split it?" We each took half but I let him have the larger rounds. I drove away sort of feeling skunked but still feeling like I'd done a good deed-I'm sure there are some jerks out there who would have just said "I was here first..." I went a different way back to my office then I came and lo and behold there was a tree service taking down a big old sugar maple! I pulled over, asked the guys if I could have some and they said "Sure, we'll give you as much as you can take!" Needless to say I left there with my rear bumper practically dragging the ground! It's a shame I didn't have a way to get in touch with the old guy because even after I loaded up there was still a lot left.

I love stories like that one....... :)

Good for you, I like hearing about us helping out others.

Things have a strange way of working out in this world . . . when you do a good deed, oftentimes it seems as though those good deeds are repaid. Karma? Fate? Just dumb luck? I don't really know . . . glad things worked out really well for you.

Around these parts, thats called being a neighbor. It doesn't mean that you live next to them, just part of the community as a whole. Good on ya! :)

Free wood is the best. It has extra BTU's, I think.

Good story and I'm glad you posted it. Helping others is always better than the alternative.

Badfish740 said:
So this morning I'm on my way to work and I see a HUGE maple that had come down during the nasty thunderstorm we had yesterday. When I finally had a change to stop back at lunchtime most of the wood was gone save for about 20 medium to large sized rounds. I pulled over and started loading them in the truck when this old timer pulled up and said "Are you going to take all of that? I just saw it and when I was going by so I went around the block to turn around." I told him "How about we split it?" We each took half but I let him have the larger rounds. I drove away sort of feeling skunked but still feeling like I'd done a good deed-I'm sure there are some jerks out there who would have just said "I was here first..." I went a different way back to my office then I came and lo and behold there was a tree service taking down a big old sugar maple! I pulled over, asked the guys if I could have some and they said "Sure, we'll give you as much as you can take!" Needless to say I left there with my rear bumper practically dragging the ground! It's a shame I didn't have a way to get in touch with the old guy because even after I loaded up there was still a lot left.

It's all about the Karma....and because you just got some good Karma good things happened. ;-)
Bravo!

that my friend was the good Lord above saying "Thank You". you gave half of your first score to help someone else, and a ways down the road, you were blessed for that action.

The two greatest commandments are to love God and to love each other. And you will be rewarded 10 fold. (paraphrased of course)

Karma is a beautiful thing...that and a full load of wood in the truck!!

I had somewhat of the opposite thing happen to me. A tree service was taking down a large elm down the street and by the time I got there, somebody was already there and told me there was just enough to fill his trailer. As i was walking away, the owner of the service was walking up and said that these were just the branches and they would be taking down the rest of tree later in the week and i could have all of the wood as that guy had taken enough.

When the day came, I was prepared to load it in my pick up truck (it would have been at least 5 loads) but instead they loaded it on their trailer, brought it to my house and helped me unload it.

Thats awesome. I hope you got them a case of beer! Thats a friend to keep indeed! Heck, when I got a bunch of loads of oak and hickory from a church community I cut some oak blocks out (like 60) and brought them to the church for the kids to play with. You would have thought I handed them gold. Guess the kids like them, and there was no lead paint on them so the nursery sealed them...

That's amazing Wendell. Congratulations.

burntime, I gotta ask you, do you really still want Favre to come back?

wendell said:

Saddly I am thinking of deleting it :-S Its kinda lost its luster. I am sour on Green Bay for pushing him out in the first place.

burntime said:
wendell said:

Saddly I am thinking of deleting it :-S Its kinda lost its luster. I am sour on Green Bay for pushing him out in the first place.

I'm with Burntime. I'm over it. Aaron is the guy now.

I am all for Aaron, but I still dislike GB for the politics. The lies and the deception from them kinda turned me off. Not to say I am not going to watch cause I just got the high end 52 inch samsung lcd for the wall...but I am just not as gung ho like I used to be. Of course I hope the vikes fail for obvious reasons :p

I wonder how much longer we can go before we get in trouble for hijacking this thread but I would have to say, burntime, that after watching his behavior over the last few years, I'm thinking management is a lot less at fault than you think. I think it was getting very disrupting for the team with his antics and that they are better off without the drama. But, if it still troubles you, you could become a Bears fan. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.