Do you all have Permanent splinters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Neil...it means you oughta go to the ER. %-P Rick

These are my instruments of choice. Of course, I keep them perfectly sterile. Once, actually, while attempting to remove a particularly irritating metal sliver from the bottom of my left foot, I slipped and sliced a nice 3" gash right across my right knee. Foot didn't bother me much then. :lol: Rick

Attachments

• surgery.jpg
    surgery.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 658
Exacto knives and tweezers are cheaper. Rick

Permanent splinter? I just refer to her as the thorn in my side.

LISound said:
don't you guys wear gloves?

+1. Gloves seem to have prevented a splinter infestation in my hands (and prevented callouses)

I occassionally wear gloves. Nothing is worse than the splinter that goes under you fingernail right along the side of the nail. I had one of those that I had to cut the finger nail away just to get to the splinter. I think it went in and ended somewhere near my tonsils. Home surgery rules!

If splinters do not come out easily I just let my body either push them out in a week or two or dissolve them. Amazing thing these bodies we have.

As for gloves - sometimes. Working in an office, you have to toughen your hands to a point when working at home. So a nice mix of gloves and no gloves does that but I do not want my hands chewed up too bad. Some years back the wife used to complain about the rough hands all the time...

CTwoodburner said:
Some years back the wife used to complain about the rough hands all the time...

Switch to palmolive. It softens hands while you clean the beer mugs. :)

Neil said:
Since I have been cutting and storing wood I have spinters that have calloused over, does this mean I am a lumberjack at last. :)

Not a lumberjack by a long shot. However you will be clever enough to know that if the sliver stays there and starts to fester, then, time to see the Doc.?? On the other hand, if it is just annoying the hell out of you then start chewing and pulling at it with your teeth(or a fine pair of tweezers and a microscope)..

Just another one of those lovely perks that comes with being a serious wood-burner. :smirk:

I've never met a splinter that was 'permanent'. Minor ones can wait a few hours, more painful ones come out sooner. Well, OK, maybe once or twice I had a stubborn one I couldn't remove for a couple of days. But they come out as soon as I can get them out. I'm amazed nobody has mentioned sewing needles. That's what I use to dig then out. Hold a match to it first if you want sterile. Half the time, I don't bother with that. I should have been a surgeon instead of a lumberjack. ;-)

Last summer I had a splinter in my index finger that I couldn't get at, so I just let it fester. After a couple of days my finger started to swell and later that afternoon the splinter popped out, but my finger continued its sausage like growth. At about 2 am, I couldn't sleep anymore because of my throbbing finger, so I drove to the ER. There, the doc appeared with a massive needle and syringe, that he proceeded to inject into my finger to freeze it. Then he lanced my finger and proceeded to poke and prod for a while to try to get it to drain. It felt better a few days later and now I get every splinter out I can!

I can’t believe no one mentioned bacon fat for those stubborn splinters. Before you go to bed put a small piece of raw bacon fat over the splinter and hold it in place with a band aid. Next morning the splinter should be sticking to the fat. Here are a bunch of splinter removal tips.

http://www.susangaer.com/studentprojects/splinter.htm

Ron

Interesting, and I see that linked page had more than one suggestion about bacon. I might try that some time. BTW one of the bacon suggestions also mentions a needle. That's what we always used in my family. But I almost always stop and try to remove splinters right away if possible. This minimizes the chances of infection setting in, as described in the post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.