do you all think this used stove had firebrick? what about legs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
woodstove door open side view insert.jpg Hersey woodstove Model 100 HT. Mfg out of business I read....
Couple delivered it to us ....Saved us trip to big city. Had (relative) to look at it first in big city...Not sure yet if going to be happy with it. It is a lot smaller than visulized.
very disdappointed.about ... No ashpan etc.
But hoping all else works out with it.. Not lots of choice cause height of bricked up flue pipe opening... well Plus lots cheaper than new stoves
... It is in basement, where prev owner (deceased)had built fireplace then later bricked up and put in a 6 inch pipe . Which was capped off when we bought place. Gonna have chimney (real chimney inspected today) and maybe cleaned.... and advise
Of course should have had inspected before used stove bought. LOL
We are not new to burning....
Please all chime in
Thanks yall

Attachments

• side view Hersey stove we bought tag view  9 29 12 front9-29-2012-1.56.33 PM.jpg
    side view Hersey stove we bought tag view 9 29 12 front9-29-2012-1.56.33 PM.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 244
Pre-epa stove. With no legs on it they probably used it as an insert sitting on the hearth. I doubt it had firebricks, I have seen many if these Hitzer's without them, it is a thick steel stove and people don't want bricks blocking that heat. I hope you didn't pay $400 for it.

yes, we did plus $40 for the couple to deliver it for gasoline. the trip is like over 80 miles one way.... They would have prob taken $400 and no delivery charge,,,,
just curious why would $400 been too much? Please explain.. like we did this money pit house
yeah I am a bargain hunter from way back.. but no real choices down here, away from the big city. and real bargains go fast....
well at least NEVER had to buy firewood....either in the city house or down here.....
we had not many choices for a used unit.... BECAUSE the flue opening sits only 22 inches (center of the 6 inch in bricked up fireplace)above hearth ...
we saw a used Jotul on CL for$700 over 100 miles away.. and a new one started around $1000 locally. we missed out on VC for $300....
Had the chimney guy here today will run $130 to clean and vacuum. Wish I called sooner since its supp to be cool Monday night.... He thinks The stove had firebrick... I can kind of see whre they might have been around the sides....
Our other place we installed ourselves a zero clearance Appalachian... back in the 1990's.. unfortunely we never had a masonary fireplace we put the expensive stainless steel pipes in ,too
thanks yall...from a proud dumpster diver, bargain hunter, junk pickup rescuer, gardener with perptual ground in dirty hands...lol
Jean

Just in case.. anyone is interested. I called Hitzer this morning.... Lady is supp to look for info for us. Stove mfg according to back metal label ....1989..... SHE SAID IT HAD FIREBRICK in it.......
Young whippersnapper, LOL, who seemed honest , from whom we bought . He said it didnt see any it when supposedly took... it out of Aunt's house.... It was supposedly in Aunt's house when she moved in......
just saying..
Thanks
Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.