Do you cover your wood while it's seasoning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Single row with a tarp the ground does not get wet under the tarp, I guess I have never seen it here, maybe with more rainfall I guess.

Yeah I was shocked. I move the next years supply into the shed in May and halfway through the job I ran into wet oak that had been in those stacks top covered for three years. The new solar fan I installed in the shed seems to have fixed it for that supply. I sure hope it has dried out. I will find out in January. It is in the back of the shed. The stuff in the front is five year old oak in the shed for three years. I am afraid to smoke around it. I kept using up everything but that back cord every year. Finally moved it to the front this year.

While seasoning? No.

After it's seasoned, I might tarp the top if it will be sitting through the winter until the next one.

Otherwise, if it's being burned this winter, I cover it with my house in late September/early October or so.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
I'm confused, if the wood is seasoned you wont have any moisture under the tarp.

i was thinking moisture from the ground seeps up into the top few layers.

Interesting that folks have found moisture under their top only tarps. I'm going to have to go out and check mine to see what may be under them. Perhaps in the spring I'll uncover the stack that has now been top-covered since splitting about a year ago and see what shape it is in. It is a pain to do so in my case as I put so many staples around it :) But even so my worst case seems to be that the very top layer (single layer of splits) could be less seasoned than the rest of the pile. I would think that being such a thin layer that air can flow under and dry out the tarp, but....

I've seen this many times when people say they will cover and uncover then cover again, etc. I say once it is covered, leave it alone. Putting up wood is hard enough work and this extra work with the tarps seems a bit out of the ordinary for sure. Once we cover it, no uncovering until it is ready to go. Well, we have had a couple times when the covering blew off but that is not normal and we don't make our rules or decisions based on exceptions.

Reactions: oldspark and Nixon
I've seen this many times when people say they will cover and uncover then cover again, etc. I say once it is covered, leave it alone. Putting up wood is hard enough work and this extra work with the tarps seems a bit out of the ordinary for sure. Once we cover it, no uncovering until it is ready to go. Well, we have had a couple times when the covering blew off but that is not normal and we don't make our rules or decisions based on exceptions.
Only time I have seen moisture under the cover is when its a tarp that started to break down, do to the UV rays. I actually look often just to see how things are doing under there. Some people stop to smell the flowers. I take a stroll and check out all the stacks.

I don't cover until October. Only the wood I plan on using this winter. It's been so nice I haven't covered any yet.
Now I'm thinking it wouldn't be that difficult to top cover 3 cord. When a nice stretch of sunny weather pops up I'm
Uncovering it again. Not that big a deal and I think it will keep moisture to a minimum.

I do the cover-uncover routine, since I don't use a lot of wood right now.

Other times I just top cover for a while, especially in summer humidity rainy T-storm stretches, or snowy winter weeks, but uncovered for long periods when the outlook is generally fair. I don't obsess about a little rain here and there.

It seems to the top cover tarp hinders seasoning somewhat, but not as much as the drenching monsoons we get on Long Island. When the humidity sets in for months and it's gotten wet, it can take a while to dry again.

WOW minimum of 3 years seasoning! Your wood piles must be ever growing larger
I try to stay at least 5 years ahead . This year , i should have been at around 7-9 years ahead but unforeseen things just didn't allow that to happen . It takes a bit of planning and work to get there , but it's very much worth it once you achieve that goal . Don't believe me, just ask Dennis ! ::P
Oh, and when I cover , it's with metal roofing ,so it. Allows for a bit of air flow at the top of the stacks , so no moisture problems to speak of .

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'm not convinced that to-covering slows the drying process for the whole stack; rather if anything just the top row if using a tarp may get a bit of a tent effect to trap some moisture. I would imagine this is most likely in cases where the air is cooled significantly on top and the wood/moist air under is warmer thus allowing condensation. However, I can't imagine it sticks around for long once the sun hits the tarp and warms it up. I know the tarps make for a warm spot as when once when I lifted the tarp from my main stack in the morning I found several (like 5+) snakes up there warming themselves. I am not generally bothered by snakes but that startled me quite a bit (especially as my face was close to them). Haven't seen as many mice around the stacks though.... but I digress.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Status
Not open for further replies.