Do you cut in the woods during hunting season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
With big game season coming I was wondering how many of you take a break for safety reasons. My wife mentions it from time to time, but I still want to cut wood.

Jack Straw said:
With big game season coming I was wondering how many of you take a break for safety reasons. My wife mentions it from time to time, but I still want to cut wood.

opening day is a good time to stay away!

I usually only cut in the woods on Sunday during hunting season. If I have some in my yard or driveway, I might do a little on other days, but I know I get a little annoyed when I'm in a tree stand and someone on the next property over is winding up his saw. I can't really complain though, it's their property, they should be able to do what they want.

If I need to go in the woods, I'd wear orange.
But I'd stay out if I could.
Head back in after hunting season is over.

If I have enough meat in the freezer from bow season then I'm in the woods cutting wood. If not, I'm in the stand with my rifle untill I do. One way or another though, I'm in the woods. Z

Well ever since my Uncle had a small run in with some out of state hunters who beat him up even though they were hunting without permission on his land we don't have to worry about hunters on our land since my Uncle and Father went right to town and posted all of their land so no one hunts there now . . . which means things are safe for me to cut.

I don't hunt anymore, but my family has been big on hunting for generations. I don't cut firewood during October and November due to the hunting seasons, not for safety but because of courtesy. After Thanksgiving weekend I will be out there cutting again, provided the snow isn't too deep like the last two years were. I still like to be included in all their hunting stories, walk through the woods and drive the deer out when asked, and help track, field dress, drag, load, or butcher deer when needed. They tell me that my wood cutting doesn't bother them and I am welcome to do it when they are hunting, but I still won't do it.

No. I'm usually out hunting or taking care of meat. btw, I already got a decent buck and I call it my lumber buck. That is because of an odd growth he is a 2 x 4.

I have five brothers and a husband and from what I know of men, they always cut in the woods, or at home, or whereever they damn well please. I don't even have to pull their fingers. They especially do it at hunting time but I always figured it was part of the whole experience and hunting manly thing. They grunt, then cut, eat, then cut, curse, then cut, and sometimes just cut one to break the silence.

I would never bring a chainsaw into the woods during hunting season though. That's a quick way to get a hole in your orange vest that goes straight through.

Insanad said:
I have five brothers and a husband and from what I know of men, they always cut in the woods, or at home, or whereever they damn well please. I don't even have to pull their fingers. They especially do it at hunting time but I always figured it was part of the whole experience and hunting manly thing. They grunt, then cut, eat, then cut, curse, then cut, and sometimes just cut one to break the silence.

I would never bring a chainsaw into the woods during hunting season though. That's a quick way to get a hole in your orange vest that goes straight through.

You sound like a victim of a dutch oven :)

Is that a Patrick McMannus concoction or another of those man terms of which I can only admire from the outside, far far outside and hopefully out of earshot or the scent cloud.

Hey!! I just advanced to the status of a burning chunk!! Who knew it would be so easy to gain respect among this crowd? Remind me to stop eating Indian food.

It's the act of letting one go in bed and simutaniously holding the covers over your loved ones head.

Jack Straw said:
It's the act of letting one go in bed and simutaniously holding the covers over your loved ones head.

Now that is bizarre, you describe the act of letting one go in bed, and simultaniously holding the covers overy your LOVED ONES HEAD, as if the love is just something you can take for granted after such an act of overt violence. There's a reason they make dog houses and such men should get comfy sleeping there if they subscribe to those games. Of course the score is evened when we ladies force feed you birthing stories, so I guess it's all fair in the game of love and war.

I wasn't condoning the act, just merely describing the act.

Jack Straw said:

I only had the one incident with the bow hunter that caused me to have any safety concerns about cutting wood during hunting season, but now I thoroughly check the tops of the trees before I cut them down.
Besides, I feel it was partly his own fault for setting up his stand in a good firewood tree during wood hunting season.
I heard he's already walking again and doing fine.

Jack Straw said:
I wasn't condoning the act, just merely describing the act.

OoPS!! I forgot to put out my "teasing shamelessly to extract response" card. My "Humor" is more of an acquired taste. In all subsequent posts, assume I'm kidding 90 % of the time. The other 10% I'm joking.

I do, but it is on my own property and no one is supposed to be hunting on it except me. On a side note, yesterday afternoon, up until 5ish I was cutting and splitting on the hickory that I had mentioned in a previous post. It is just inside the treeline, next to a narrow field that seperates the trees from the road. About 8 pm I glance out my window and watched three does come out of the woods within about 50 yards of where I was cutting, slowly walked across the field, then crossed the road. This morning about 11 am I watched as four deer crossed the road back into my field and into the trees at the same exact place.

I've been thinking about that very thing. After years of shotgun only zone DEC changed our area into a rifle zone.

I'm thinking any shotgun hunter will be alerted to my actions and move on cause a shotguns only a threat within 100 yards or so. Rifle hunters on the other hand can really reach out and touch someone. They're more of a threat cause if they miss their target I could be so far away they would even know I was there. So I dunno...still mulling it over.

There's been a few times I was out cutting during hunting season and really wished I had taken my rifle along. It seems the drone of the saw brings out the big dumb bull moose that thinks I'm another bull.

fyrwoodguy said:
i just take a gun with me so i can shoot back :mad:

this +10000000
way too many morons in the woods "hunting" these days
most of them still drunk from the previous nights festivities...
if i had to cut in the woods i would sure as chit be armed, an AR15 slung over the shoulder would keep most loud mouths in check

par0thead151 said:
fyrwoodguy said:

this +10000000
if i had to cut in the woods i would sure as chit be armed, an AR15 slung over the shoulder would keep most loud mouths in check
Drunkin hunting in wisconsin? hmm :bug:

ohio woodburner said:
par0thead151 said:
fyrwoodguy said:

this +10000000
Drunkin hunting in wisconsin? hmm :bug:
Ya, no way that ever happens. Nor drunken wood cutting. ;-)

Try not to cut during hunting season, or hunt during cutting season. One might get ya shot, the other locked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.