Do you do your baked spuds in the stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bakeing potatos and heating soup are all i've been susesful with so far, I tried bakeing a chicken breat in foil but that one needs work.

Neil said:
Have found baked potatoes wrapped in foil and put in the stove taste very nice indeed...anyone got any other ideas for stove baked grub?

Just make sure if you are cooking INSIDE the stove (as opposed to just the stove TOP) you only do it on a nice bed of hot coals and not a firebox full of smokey wood which tends to ruin food :)

Yes, I've done potatoes, and "foil dinners" inside the stove, I also have a little dutch oven that can go in the stove for making cobbler for dessert. I took a top from one of those little portable charcoal grills that I can put on TOP of the stove to make a little baking oven type thing - great for heating things up like cookies or s'mores, you could probably cook hotdogs in it easily too.

I cooked a turkey the last 2 thanksgivings in a roaster on top the stove.
Put it in the oven the last 15 minutes to brown : )

Neil said:
...anyone got any other ideas for stove baked grub?

Stove baked grubs are delicious if properly seasoned. Be careful not to over-cook them. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside...m-m-m-m-m! %-P Rick

Real good idea we're gonna try potatoes and garlic toast...thank for the heads up.

Burger patty salt pepper potatoes carrots 1/2 tsp butter. O yea wrap all with foil probly wont taste too good covered in ashes ( edit- sliced taters)

savageactor7 said:
Real good idea we're gonna try potatoes and garlic toast...thank for the heads up.

Fresh baked bread, skewered on a BBQ fork and toasted over coals like a marshmallow. Then top with butter and crushed garlic to taste. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Wife bakes the potatoes in a cast on top of the stove with a tin foil lid. Not charred like I had them in my childhood, but they are cooked to perfection and are very cheap compared to the rest. Roasted Garlic is very good. If anyone wants to try it, cut the top off the clove, bit of oil salt and pepper roast for about a hour in a ramakin covered in foil on top of the stove. VERY TASTY.
Chad

chad3 said:
Wife bakes the potatoes in a cast on top of the stove with a tin foil lid. Not charred like I had them in my childhood, but they are cooked to perfection and are very cheap compared to the rest. Roasted Garlic is very good. If anyone wants to try it, cut the top off the clove, bit of oil salt and pepper roast for about a hour in a ramakin covered in foil on top of the stove. VERY TASTY.
Chad

Fantastic, especially if spread on some really good crusty bread.

But technical term here-- you want to do this with a whole head of garlic, not just a clove at a time...

Nachos on top of the stove.
I have not ventured to do anything else yet.
I always mean to, maybe this year.

a big ceramic tile on top of some coals then put pizza on top of tile mmm mmm (unglazed of course)

I have always wondered about one of the camp stoves that you could sit right on top of your stove. I have never tried it. Anyone thought of this, or tried it out yet??

Attachments

• i510725sq01.jpg
    i510725sq01.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 282
That's the one that I posted about. Works well.
And its only about 30 bucks from Wally World

I put a pizza stone (cold) onto the hot coals and cover it w/ marinated garlic cloves. Cook until browning on the outside. Absolutely fabulous for any recipe calling for roasted garlic.

We roasted a chicken not in the stove coals but in the coals of a big brush fire. Wrapped it in wet paper and then foil. Wrapped wire around it with a pull wire sticking out. Comes out incredibly moist with a great smoked taste.

That is exactly how I cook my baked potatoes when the fire is in the coaling stage. I also use a camp style dutch oven but I always remove the coals and do the cooking outdoors due to limited space. I also tend to use the dutch oven in extremely cold weather conditions when the stove overcoals and I require a constant flame to keep the house warm. Unfortunately, the method to combat this condition as suggested on woodheat.org does not work well for me since the majority of my firewood produces lots of long lasting coals.

I made some fajitas the other day that were excellent. After the skirt steak was finished marinating I made a nice flat coal bed right in the middle of the stove and set the steaks right on top, that's right, directly on the coals. Let that cook until you have a nice sear and then flip to cook the other side. In the meantime have a cast skillet on the top heating up to cook the veggies in. Once the steak is nice and browned, wrap it in some foil to rest and start your veggies cooking until they are slightly browned and translucent. Then slice your steak very thin against the grain and serve. If you don't like medium rare steak, cokk the sliced steak with the veggies for a few minutes and it will be well, but not as good in my opinion.

If you try this you will be surprised that your meat is not covered with ash and soot. I suppose if your scared you could always sear it in the skillet and finish the braise in some foil but you won't get the smokey flavor.

I also find the baking potatoes in foil makes for a mushy potato. When I cook mine in the oven I just perforate the skin with a fork and rub them with some salt and oil and set them right on the rack. I wonder if I can adapt this method for the stove?

I wrap a couple of potatoes in aluminum foil when I'm emptying out the ashes/coals. I bury the potatoes in the ash bucket, which I always set outside and let cool before putting the ashes in the larger ash can. They are done in about an hour.

I also cook dried beans on top of the stove, but I don't cook anything that is oily/greasy, as I don't want to discolor my soapstone (at least not yet). It's also nice to have a teakettle on the stove, both for the moisture it adds to the room and to have hot water for tea anytime I like.

Dumb question but to do the potatoes do you just wrap them in foil and put them on the coals? Also for how long? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.