do you ever get this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

punchy

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2011
mid mo
people at work think i am crazy. a guy at work has a huge ash tree down in his yard, wants it gone. it is friday 85degrees i go start cutting. i'll get the 40" rounds split tomorrow. everyone was saying why cut wood?, its not cold anymore. i told them because no one else would go cut it for me.

one guy also burns wood with outside boiler and he only cuts when cold outside, never burns 'seasoned' wood. said you've got enough for next winter already, wait til fall to get it.

I saw folks out on snow machines cutting live trees & pulling sleds of firewood. They were cutting birch & spruce to burn the next day & the rest of the winter.
The spruce might be fairly low MC but they had to have been boiling allot of water from the birch.
At least they were out working hard to keep their homes warm.
I'm to lazy to boil the water out of the wood then burn it to heat the house, (not making syrup)

Even when you try to explain the "physics of fire" & "wood moisture content", they look at you sideways.
So much for our education system :)

Love your answer ; "because no one else would go cut it for me".
I Gotta remember that one :)

it's because they think of the log cabin in the middle of winter, fire's goin' down, grizzly dude with flannel and big beard goes out and 'chops' some wood to put in the fire. that's how i saw it until i came here haaa!

Reactions: n3pro
I am one big ANT. 2013-14 wood split and stacked last spring (mostly rock maple), started on 14-15 last fall, 5 cord done, 10+ cord in the round being split now.

I don't think everyone who waits until fall to cut is lazy. There are people who don't think ahead at all, and there are other people who have thought about it and decided either a) dry wood burns too fast or b) firewood will rot if you wait too long to burn it. I have had lots of people suggest that I have too much wood on hand and it will rot before I burn it. There is a lot of firewood rotting in piles in the backyards here, so eventually they may be right, but I don't plan to wait 10 years and let the wood sit on the ground the whole time.

I don't think everyone who waits until fall to cut is lazy. There are people who don't think ahead at all, and there are other people who have thought about it and decided either a) dry wood burns too fast or b) firewood will rot if you wait too long to burn it. I have had lots of people suggest that I have too much wood on hand and it will rot before I burn it. There is a lot of firewood rotting in piles in the backyards here, so eventually they may be right, but I don't plan to wait 10 years and let the wood sit on the ground the whole time.

I've not had properly split and stacked wood rot. Sitting in rounds on the ground, yes. (Lots of it laying around when I moved here.) But once it's split and stacked and dried, stored properly, it's gonna last a long time.

And if dried wood "burns too fast," you're probably burning it in an open fireplace.

What is that old saying - "You gotta strike while the iron is hot". One big mantra seen on this forum, repeatedly, is that it's WAY better to let mother nature remove the water from your wood fuel OUTSIDE of the stove. I've given up trying to explain why there are "so many stacks of wood" scattered around here....

people at work think i am crazy. a guy at work has a huge ash tree down in his yard, wants it gone. it is friday 85degrees i go start cutting. i'll get the 40" rounds split tomorrow. everyone was saying why cut wood?, its not cold anymore. i told them because no one else would go cut it for me.

Hey punchy, you've been around long enough so that you know what it takes. Let them think you crazy...and think of them when that wood is burning nicely in your Progress. Hey, that reminds me, you need to get that into your signature line.

I don't like cutting firewood when it is hot but would do it if it were required. 85 degrees? Wow! You are much warmer than we are. I mowed grass for the first time this spring and by the time I was finished, my feet were getting cold.

I've not had properly split and stacked wood rot. Sitting in rounds on the ground, yes. (Lots of it laying around when I moved here.) But once it's split and stacked and dried, stored properly, it's gonna last a long time.

And if dried wood "burns too fast," you're probably burning it in an open fireplace.

I have a good friend who has some wood stacked up and it has been in the stack about 15 years. It will burn fine.

Reactions: gd9704
Punchy, your are crazy but your among crazy friends here :p. Im pretty much all done firewood until the fall right now, I have about 10 cords so Ill replace what I burn this winter as soon as I can in winter or spring but I dont like to do firewood in the summer. If I run across some free wood Ill scrounge it, I dont mind doing a little in the heat but the bulk of the work gets done when its cooler out.

Maybe when they say "wait till fall", they mean they already have next winter's supply, and they just want to wait till cooler weather to do it, but don't need to burn it then. I sympathize. BUT, if given fee firewood, I'll go get it NOW. (That's where I am right now.)

What is that old saying - "You gotta strike while the iron is hot". One big mantra seen on this forum, repeatedly, is that it's WAY better to let mother nature remove the water from your wood fuel OUTSIDE of the stove. I've given up trying to explain why there are "so many stacks of wood" scattered around here....

Same here Dennis, I've got stacks of wood all over the place. Got about 75 big oak, maple and cherry rounds laying in a loose pile that have to be s/s yet. I don't have a hydraulic splitter so I wait till I get a bunch of big rounds and then rent one for $50 for a weekend and get it all done at once. My wife keeps telling me to just buy a splitter, but I figure I can rent one every other year for $50, so it would take 40 years to come out ahead buying the splitter. I don't think I'll have to worry about splitting any wood then !! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.