Do you find this type of wood worthwhile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Long story, but I had to hike about 2 miles through my local neighborhood backroads to my car tonight. Beautiful evening (70 degrees, sunny at 7:30pm), so I enjoyed the scenery.

On the way, I went through a park I had never been through and saw a bonfire like arrangement of broken up branches and reasonable length cuts of wood. Had to have been there for 3 years, sitting off the ground, no growth in it, and plenty of air moving through it - was completely even-gray in color. Probably bone dry. I'm guessing I could get a 1/4 cord out of it in 15 minutes.

Would you guys put in the effort? This is all community/township property, but this pile and several others I saw were also clearly "waste" wood tossed aside. Probably call my community just in case...

Joe

I have scrounged and burned all sorts of small diameter wood. Yes, I think it is worth it if you can get it without excessive time for the wood you get.

I don't take stuff under 12" unless its part of the deal to get the big stuff. I don't like handling it, cutting it, splitting it or stacking it.

I also don't normally mess with small stuff, but in this case if it's been there long enough to be dry then why not? I have plenty of smaller diameter limbs that have dried and I'll burn a is w/o splitting. I usually throw them on top of my stacks along with the "uglies" that I don't plan to split any further.

I would not take until after asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.