Do you find yourself

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdenton

Sep 15, 2011
MI
Looking at all the dead trees on the side of the road on the way to work and thinking.

How can I get those to my house and how much wood is in them.
Do the people realize the treasure they have or would the city mind if I cut them down on the side of the express way :)

I have over an hour drive to work one way and it drives me crazy seeing all the dead trees I could be burning.

After I got my stove last year I cant pass a tree without thinking how much would is in it.

Glad I joined the forum

Oh this is just an early symptom... Just you wait.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
Oh this is just an early symptom... Just you wait.

Shawn

LOL .... well said .... so true

wdenton said:
Looking at all the dead trees on the side of the road on the way to work and thinking.

How can I get those to my house and how much wood is in them.
Do the people realize the treasure they have or would the city mind if I cut them down on the side of the express way :)

I have over an hour drive to work one way and it drives me crazy seeing all the dead trees I could be burning.

After I got my stove last year I cant pass a tree without thinking how much would is in it.

Glad I joined the forum

yes

Leaving a restaurant after lunch the other day I ran to the apartment complex behind the parking lot and was looking around frantically. My co workers asked what the hell was wrong with me.

I had heard a chainsaw cutting.

It was a huge old oak but alas someone had already claimed it.

I was standing outside of work the other day looking up. A co-worker asked if I was looking at the clouds. "Nope, just checking out this old maple tree. I wonder if shes gonna come down any time soon." They just stared at me - puzzled - and then walked off. :p

wdenton -

TS Irean dropped several trees in my area. I run a 5 miles loop around a heavily wooded area and there are four large oaks lying parallel with the road. I'm talking the entire tree, root ball and all. I suspect the town just pushed these along the road side to get them off the road. There are land owners for all the dead trees and I just salivate as I run past them. At this point I would think if the land owner wanted this tree, it would have been bucked up by now.

my work requires me to ride around the entire county, I spend way too much of my 8 hours looking at trees. Ive been known to make an extra loop when I see a pile of wood to see if its worth coming back to after I get off work....

Hubby had been in and out the hospital with heart issues. He was "in" recuperating from having his first artificial heart assist device installed (LVAD). We'd been through coma, brain injury, ups/downs on the recovery road all related to his heart issues in the last year and now this LVAD was entering our life. I was worn out.

I needed a break from his hospital room and took a walk in the park adjacent to the hospital. There is a river which runs through that park. A large, ancient tree was down in the river. I stood there contemplating "Now, how in the world could I get that tree for firewood?" I sighed, knowing the prospect was unattainable and walked back towards the hospital.......

It was a nice diversion fantasy while it lasted.

Shari

All the time yes,even after years of cutting for myself & the occasional hire.Along the north side of Interstate 235 on west side of town barely 1/2 mile from me there's 3 large recently dead Bur Oaks just inside the fence that is the south border to Waveland Golf Course.I see them 4-5 days a week when going to western suburbs.Always wondering when the city Public Works will bring them down.Looks like 2 cords altogether.

Thou shalt not lust after thy neigbor's birch, but why do they have to leave them lying there for weeks after a windstorm?

Four or five good-size aspen came down a few weeks ago across the spur road I live on. Most people scorn that as inferior wood, but I know after a few years that's going to be prime stuff giving out plenty of heat. It's about 3/4 of a mile from my house and I have to drive past them at least twice a day. Big. Fresh sawn rounds just staring me in the eye. Taunting. Mocking. Reminding me of what a menace to navigation they will be when the snowplows try to get the road cleared there, or if someone slides into the ditch on that soon-to-be-icy hill. I avoid eye contact, but the fever grows. I am woodstalker.

The place I play disc golf at has quite a few dead standers and fall. Some of which are honey locust, oaks of all sorts, ash, mulberry, elm, and cherry. What I would do if I had permission, more space and a truck to get back there and clean the place up. My friends too, think I am crazy just starting at the trees.

onion said:
Leaving a restaurant after lunch the other day I ran to the apartment complex behind the parking lot and was looking around frantically. My co workers asked what the hell was wrong with me.

I had heard a chainsaw cutting.

It was a huge old oak but alas someone had already claimed it.
I can relate to that. I can't tell you how many times i've been chatting with neighbors out in the yard (or Mrs. Danno) and stopped right in the middle of a sentence. They ask what's wrong and geta "shhh....don't you hear that? Sounds like a chainsaw" reply...

I still look around and am totally amazed at all the wood that is going to waste around here because not enough people burn wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
I still look around and am totally amazed at all the wood that is going to waste around here because not enough people burn wood.

+1

Backwoods Savage said:

Not a problem around here . . . neighbor had a tree cut down a year or two back and I stopped to ask her about it and she said her ex-brother-in-law had already asked about it . . . co-worker had a large maple branch come down and he said there were four separate groups of folks who stopped by that day to ask him if he was going to keep it . . .

For sure it is different in town. Out in the country there are dead trees all over the place. The two big ones are ash and elm as they grow nicely in fencerows and along ditches and creeks. Then there is the occasional maple that starts dropping dead limbs, usually during a storm. The media really makes a big deal of it because the storm was so bad. Not so. The tree was so bad that it should have been cut before the storm.

Backwoods Savage said:
For sure it is different in town. Out in the country there are dead trees all over the place. The two big ones are ash and elm as they grow nicely in fencerows and along ditches and creeks. Then there is the occasional maple that starts dropping dead limbs, usually during a storm. The media really makes a big deal of it because the storm was so bad. Not so. The tree was so bad that it should have been cut before the storm.

HehHeh . . . these incidents happened in the country. I mean, don't get me wrong . . . there are still places you see dead trees and they're left there . . . but typically those are softwoods (like the evil pine ;) ) or the tree is just too rotten to burn.

I'm always seeing wood that needs bucked & split. I see piles of birch logs stacked up at new construction sites.
& stop & ask it I can cut or if they want to sell (at a reasonable price). Typically "No" is the answer. Many times a few years later it's all punk.
Birch don't last very long before it starts rotting. I guess it makes a good compost pile, but quit a waste IMO.
Dead standing birch here is usually too late for firewood, dangerously rotten tops, & punky thru-out. I do get some beetle kill spruce now & then.

Try calling the power company, some have tree cutters on staff & if yo get hooked up you can be there when they do Right of Way maintenance.

Yep, you got the symptoms, be careful. :)

You are right about the birch Dave. It can be completely rotten and still standing. When it finally falls, it crumbles most of the time. We had a white birch on our place that is the largest one I've ever seen. It started to die but I could not cut it down for fear of falling on the high wires. The power company would not cut it either and I told them I'd just wait and they would have to fix the lines if it hit. It did finally fall and because it crumbled, it did not hit the lines but it would have if I had cut it when it would have fell right on the wires. Thankfully part of the top fell first and that took care of the problem. I wish we still had that tree though.

When the power co. has a tree service do ROW trimming and cutting, I tell them to leave the logs for me. The last white pine was dropped IN my yard at my request.
After all, the trees are mine....on my property. Power Co. doesn't usually own the ROW, just the right to run their lines.
I've had guys stop to check out trees downed in my ROW, and I casually strike up a conversation to let them know whats up. Jus' sayin.
To the OP, yes. :lol:
Everyone else in the car is chatting, while I'm chatting AND looking at trees. Maybe they can't multitask. hehe

I am always looking in the woods. Either for deer or trees. After Irene left, there is no need to "look" for wood. It is all over the place. I made an attempt to cut some grass that has been inaccessible due to moisture, only to find it is still inaccessible. While wrestling the mower out of the mud, I noticed an 18 inch Cherry, and the top of a Locust laying in the wet area at the base of my property. Add those to the huge Hickory, the 30 inch Ash, the Walnut at the neighbors and the 2 or 3 standing dead trees on the farm across the street, and I don't find myself looking into the woods for trees anymore. It is just too easy at this time to find wood.

Across the gravel road at east border of parents acreage there's a main powerline that's parallel to road & other pasture/cropland.In the ROW a couple weeks back the county REC cut out of the fenceline a bunch of medium sized Eastern Red Cedar & a few scrub Black Cherry.Gonna check that out in a few days,could always use some more Cedar for the firepit/Fall/Spring burning & Cherry for my smoker.

I have enough fallen trees and work on my property to last many years thanks to hurricane irene and yet I still eyeball all of the wood sitting on the side of the road. My wife has to remind me that I have enough. It's becoming a sickness!

I have to bring my trailer with me to work at least twice a week because of the all the trees still lying around from Irene. I have already scrounged enough for '12-'13.....and Im running out of room fast.... my wife sometimes wants to smack me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.