Do you grow a WINTER beard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn politicians... they are elected by the people, then they go wild!

Too late for me. Happy Halloween!

Nite... after the Yankees beat the Phils again.

just to update that the beard is coming in quite nicely. I also haven't had a haircut since may or so, so I'm all kinds of hairy. might have to do something, though, bordering on unprofessional me thinks. Probably just a trim to take care of this fro & mullet I've got going on.....

I wear a beard (well, more precisely a mustache & goatee) and a pony tail as well year 'round...and it's got absolutely nothing to do with my politics. Rick

fossil said:
and it's got absolutely nothing to do with my politics. Rick
so it's just coincidental, then? lol.

my ponytail wearing, birkenstock sporting, lactose intolerant cousin in law says that those things don't have anything to do with him being a raging liberal. nothing against any of those things, they just are each a red thread in the giant red flag....

Rick, hope you don't take offense, I just like poking fun.... and if you do take offense, i'm not surprised. darned hippies are always sensitive about things like that.

Danno77 said:
fossil said:
and it's got absolutely nothing to do with my politics. Rick
so it's just coincidental, then? lol.

my ponytail wearing, birkenstock sporting, lactose intolerant cousin in law says that those things don't have anything to do with him being a raging liberal. nothing against any of those things, they just are each a red thread in the giant red flag....

Rick, hope you don't take offense, I just like poking fun.... and if you do take offense, i'm not surprised. darned hippies are always sensitive about things like that.

I'm not offended. As always, I'm just baffled by stereotyping and profiling. I guess if we met as perfect strangers on the street you'd figure you had me all sized up and figured out based on the way I wear my hair. I just don't think that way. I spent 30+ years on active duty in the Navy...from age 20 (1969) to age 51 (2000)...during which time I necessarily had to keep my hair trimmed pretty short, and from about my 4th year or so in we couldn't wear beards. When I retired in 2000 I decided I'd like to see what my hair looks like before the rest of it falls out, so I let it grow. Haven't been in a barber shop since, (turning 61 in about 3 weeks) and I still kinda like it. Got some nice silver streaks goin' on now from the temples; goatee & mustache are ~half gray. You can read into it whatever you want to read into it, it don't mean squat to me...other than it seems to me you've got a pretty superficial outlook. Hope you don't take offense. Rick

fossil said:
You can read into it whatever you want to read into it, it don't mean squat to me...other than it seems to me you've got a pretty superficial outlook. Hope you don't take offense. Rick
Rick,
If you saw my hair right now you'd have sensed the sarcasm in my entire post. lol. no offense taken.

fossil said:
[ As always, I'm just baffled by stereotyping and profiling. I guess if we met as perfect strangers on the street you'd figure you had me all sized up and figured out based on the way I wear my hair. I just don't think that way. I spent 30+ years on active duty in the Navy...from age 20 (1969) to age 51 (2000)...during which time I necessarily had to keep my hair trimmed pretty short, and from about my 4th year or so in we couldn't wear beards. When I retired in 2000 I decided I'd like to see what my hair looks like before the rest of it falls out, so I let it grow. Haven't been in a barber shop since, (turning 61 in about 3 weeks) and I still kinda like it. Got some nice silver streaks goin' on now from the temples; goatee & mustache are ~half gray. You can read into it whatever you want to read into it, it don't mean squat to me...other than it seems to me you've got a pretty superficial outlook. Hope you don't take offense. Rick

It appears that someone's also grown some hair on his arse and it's
very becoming.

I started my seasonal beard as usual about a month ago(that's why the NYY won the World Series don't ya know!)...but it seems my Giants have lost every game since then so it came off yesterday!

Don't give a darn about politics but very sensitive about my teams! :)

Oh yeah, this beard is looking good. People are starting to call me "Grizzly Dan" and I've already been cast for a book reading at the elementary that i work at for the part of "Abe Lincoln"

This means, then, that I'll be shaving my weak mustache and sporting only the beard for Abe's Bday (i'm tall and skinny, so it only makes sense) then probably ditching the entire setup for Vday (wife has been complaining since I started in mid october)

Does Feb seem to early to lose a winter beard?

The only beard I will have is the one as Santa
at the firehouse.

I can't wear one as a SCBA mask will not seal with
facial hair on.

I'll enjoy a fake one for a few hours! Ho, ho, ho!

I grow a beard about once a week as well.Like most here I hate shaving too.Been doing it since I was about 14.I'm 26 now.Comes in thick and fast.Have been growing the goatee for about a year and a half now.Get the ZZ Top joke pretty near once a day.Great conversation piece though.lol

I've been growing a four season beard for years now. It all started when i was sent out in the boondocks of South Dakota to work for two weeks straight and there was no-one around to impress. I thought i would let it grow and see how i liked it. It itched a lot to begin with but that went away after it grew out enough. I didn't trim it at all the first winter and it got a little out of hand (always got caught in my coat zipper). I sure don't miss shaving and folks say i look better with a beard(probably only because it covers up half my face). The wife likes it so i don't have to fight that fight which is always good.

If in doubt, let it grow out!

my winter beard is history. I dunno who said it doesn't insulate, but man it's cold without it. No more "Grizzly Dan" namecalling around the office. it's back to "you look 12." At least the wife is happy with it. I'll do it again next year. This just seems to early to ditch it, but at least I know I can get it back in a month or so.....Now, to do something about this mop on my head.

Back when I was racing sled dogs I grew one when I was doing the 150milers. It really kept me warmer. After it iced up it would keep the wind off the face. That spring I shaved it off. every where I went EVERY one kept telling me how much YOUNGER I looked with it off. I've never let a whisker get over 1/16in long since.
I wear a face mask if I need to keep warm now.
leaddog

How the heck do folks keep finding and dredging up these year+ old threads? Rick

fossil said:
How the heck do folks keep finding and dredging up these year+ old threads? Rick

I don't know - sometimes it's a spammer, one of the first things I look for when I see an old thread come back to life, but it definitely wasn't the case on this one...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
fossil said:

I don't know - sometimes it's a spammer, one of the first things I look for when I see an old thread come back to life, but it definitely wasn't the case on this one...

Gooserider
I don't know what you are talking about, this thread is almost exactly three months old, lol.

Danno77 said:
...I don't know what you are talking about, this thread is almost exactly three months old, lol.

Quite right. My apologies.

fossil said:
Danno77 said:
...I don't know what you are talking about, this thread is almost exactly three months old, lol.

yeah, that's right. Don't let it happen again. lol. Besides, I wanna know what makes you guys think I'm not a spammer. I think that if you look at how many times I've tried to get people to buy a Stihl 880 on this forum you might change your mind.

Danno77 said:
fossil said:
Danno77 said:

yeah, that's right. Don't let it happen again. lol. Besides, I wanna know what makes you guys think I'm not a spammer. I think that if you look at how many times I've tried to get people to buy a Stihl 880 on this forum you might change your mind.

The specific flavor of spammer that I was referring to are the ones that come in and post a pretty much content free message like "Thank you for telling me about this." with a link to some non-hearth related site in their sig... We get a fair number of them, and they are a bit of a pain to deal with... You don't rate as a spammer Danno, since you do at least occasionally post useful stuff :) (Besides I know you really want a Dolmar, and if we keep letting you try to palm that 880 clunker off on some other [del]sucker[/del] user, you might be able to afford one.... :kiss: :coolgrin: )

Gooserider

Danno77 said:
it's back to "you look 12." At least the wife is happy with it. I'll do it again next year. This just seems to early to ditch it, but at least I know I can get it back in a month or so.....Now, to do something about this mop on my head.

I took mine off right around christmas, hated not having it so its about a month old now. The wife hates it but I dont care haha. I just promised to keep it trimmed instead of the way I had it prior to shaving it off.

I'm 32 and grew my first beard this year. I shaved everyday but this year i said heck with it and grew it out. Nothing but gray hair. The wife hates it my ma hates it but my kid loves it so guess what? It's staying.... well atleast till April

I started growing a beard in 1999 (although it was pretty pathetic then) and have had it sense. Lately I've been trimming it back about twice a year.

Having a beard in the summer doesnt make you any hotter I don't think. But last summer, I trimmed it back in august and it was funny because my face was tan, but my neck was as white as snow where it had been protected by my beard.

I love digging this thread up from last year. I started mine on october 1st of this year. Beth is already throwing a fit about it. Dunno if I can handle the complaining, we'll just have to see...

I'm growing one now, but only because I am too lazy to shave. One week into it and I think Mrs. Flatbedford has already had enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.